New to Lawn Care Need Advice

sonnycook4

LawnSite Member
Good Morning to all.
I am new to the Lawn Care Business. I just retired from Active Duty Army ( 30 years, 5 months, and 14 days), but who's counting now! I need some advice, this is what I have for equipment and what I have completed so far business wise; '99 Dodge 4x4 3500, 16' duel axle trailer, gravely z-turn,gravely w/b, 21hp gravely tractor, push mower, 2 echo weed eaters, edger, 2 husqvarna backpack blowers ( all commercial grade) all used, good working condition and paid for. Oh, and my two Sons as part time partners. Business wise I have business license, formed LLC, have general liability insurance (1million), workmen's comp, vehicle and equipment insurance. I did cost analysis, market analysis of the three counties I plan to service, completed business plan. Overhead is covered for 4+ months. I am thinking of offering a discount for military, senior citizens and public servants ( police and firefighters). I will not low ball to get accounts, Quality is worth the price. have posted flyers and business cards in area. have received a few calls and from those calls 15 service agreements are signed and ready to begin servicing in mid March. That's Me so far. My questions are what else equipment wise should I be thinking about? Do I really need a CPA starting out or will a book keeper be OK ? What software do you all recommend? ( Yes I am a southern boy) so its you all. ANYTHING I'm missing PLEASE HELP!!!

mowerbrad

LawnSite Fanatic
You seem to have your bases covered when it comes to equipment. For basic lawn service you have everything you should need except for an edger, which isn't necessary as you can use a string trimmer, but they are nice to have. Otherwise, you have a pretty good setup.

I would highly recommend quickbooks as your billing software. I started using quickbooks last season and love it. Its pretty easy to use and has lots of features, makes billing pretty simple too. And as far as having a CPA, it is nice to use a CPA throughout the year, especially when tax time rolls around.

DKJLawnCare

LawnSite Member
For basic lawn service you have everything you should need except for an edger

He posted that he does have an edger

integrityman said:
Why are you set on Gravely Equipment?

he didn't say he was set on gravely equipment. That is what he has and it is all paid for.

Sonnycook to me it sounds like you have a sound plan in mind. Good luck with the season this year. I think a good book keeper would be ok, if you don't get too large. If you start getting a lot of biz, then I would consider an accountant.

integrityman

LawnSite Bronze Member
he didn't say he was set on gravely equipment. That is what he has and it is all paid for.

Perhaps a better question would be: What sold you on Gravely equipment?

OP
S

sonnycook4

LawnSite Member
I'm not set on gravely equipment/ belonged to my step-father no cost to me so go figure/ sounded like a good way to keep overhead down to start off, what do ya think?

DoetschOutdoor

LawnSite Bronze Member
I would say you are good to go for equipment wise at least for a while. After you have gotten into the swing of things, you might want to pick up a hedge trimmer or anything else little that can save ya time or money. Just get in the hang of using quickbooks and keep your stuff organized well. Then when you go the cpa, it will only take a matter of minutes for them to punch in your numbers into their program. I use quickbooks then just write up one main #'s sheet for my tax guy and it takes him all of about a half hour to get me out the door and charges very little. Sounds like you are off to a good start with 15 accounts and since you were able to keep your start up costs low, even better. Best of luck, my dad's been outta the air force for about 9 years now and is always urging me to pick up a few more accounts so he can come work with me.

Top Forums