• Thankful For Your Family…. Business?
    Landscaping businesses are often family endeavors. While this can combine the best of both worlds (personal and professional), it isn’t always smooth sailing. Click here to read more.

New to Quickbooks

Italysfinest327

LawnSite Member
Hello all i just setup all of my customers in quickbooks today. I never used the program i used to do my bills the old fashioned way on a billing pad. I just had a question regarding the program with invoicing. I understand i have to create an item list for whatever services i provide ( mowing, pruning, cleanups, etc..) along with prices for that particular item. Can i setup quickbook so that it remembers each customers items/prices. For example if mr smith is $125 a month for maintenance and i bill him for may. When i go to june will it remember that mr smiths maintenance charge is $125 or do i have to enter in the ammount for him everytime. And does quickbooks automatically put any unpaid balances on the following months statement for the customers who are slow to pay? Again im new to all of this and looking to get this down before the season starts. Any help would be appreciated..

Danscapes

LawnSite Senior Member
I'm sure it can. I have been using it for 3 years and am still finding out new things about the software. They have a class that you can take that teaches you how to use it and all of the shortcuts. I would suggest taking the class, because I didn't and I'm sure that I'm not using it at it's full potential.

On a side note, just this week I bought Neat Receipts and it works well with Quickbooks. You should check it out, its a scanner for all of your receipts and it automatically files them into Quickbooks under the appropriate category. The best thing about Neat Receipts is, the IRS accepts it as a form of record keeping so once they are scanned into your computer you can shred all of the paper receipts. This has helped me eliminate mountains of paper that cluttered my desk and file folders.

OP
I

Italysfinest327

LawnSite Member
I'm sure it can. I have been using it for 3 years and am still finding out new things about the software. They have a class that you can take that teaches you how to use it and all of the shortcuts. I would suggest taking the class, because I didn't and I'm sure that I'm not using it at it's full potential.

On a side note, just this week I bought Neat Receipts and it works well with Quickbooks. You should check it out, its a scanner for all of your receipts and it automatically files them into Quickbooks under the appropriate category. The best thing about Neat Receipts is, the IRS accepts it as a form of record keeping so once they are scanned into your computer you can shred all of the paper receipts. This has helped me eliminate mountains of paper that cluttered my desk and file folders.
thanks for the reply i will look into taking a class

echeandia

LawnSite Bronze Member
You might be better off creating a tally sheet in Excel to keep track of the services and pricing for each customer. Then at the end of the month just go down the list to create your invoices.

You can "remember" transactions but its kind of convoluted to recall them. Your other option is to create an estimate and when you create an invoice QB will ask if you want to use the estimate. Then it will subtract the number of mowings you invoiced from the number in the estimate.

Roger

LawnSite Fanatic
Set up memorized transactions. Each entry can have a price associated with the entry.

I have one for each customer:

mowcustomer1 35.00
mowcustomer2 45.00

etc.

When making the entry, merely pull up the memorized transaction, and the price will be filled in on the invoice for you.

I use a monthly invoice scheme. I start a customer invoice on the first work of the month, and then save it. The next visit, I pull up the invoice, and add a second entry. For every new charge for the month, a new entry is added. Sometimes, a visit may create more than one entry, e.g. trimming bushes, mulching, mulch cost (direct cost). At the end of the month, the invoice is printed, sent to the customer. I made a tearoff invoice. The top portion includes the customer name/address for a #10 window envelope, and the bottom third is intended to be torn off and returned. On the tearoff, my name is in the address box, their name is in the return box, both appearing through windows in a #9 envelope (included with the invoice mailing).

QB will do everything you need for your business. It will take some time to set up, but will give you the information you need to manage finances. Using a separate "invoicing" program, spreadsheet, or other, means that you have to have another program to track expenses, tax collections, banking, etc. QB enables you do do all these functions in one place.

fl-landscapes

LawnSite Silver Member
you can also right click on any invoice and click "duplicate invoice" which will duplicate the exact invoice witha new invoice number. Just change the date and save.

OP
I

Italysfinest327

LawnSite Member
you can also right click on any invoice and click "duplicate invoice" which will duplicate the exact invoice witha new invoice number. Just change the date and save.
if i were to say duplicate mays invoice for june, but had pruned that customer for june, can i add that in the duplicated invoice?