• Online Events For Landscapers!
    With GIE+EXPO cancelled, virtual education and product launches are filling up the fall. Check out dates for Caterpillar, Exmark, NALP, and more. Click here to learn more.

New to Scag and completely dissatisfied Tiger Cat 2.

Ajames06!

LawnSite Member
What's up Fellas!
New to the site,First post.
I have hit rock bottom bought this Scag Tiger Cat ii 61" Kawasaki brand new from the dealer. Previously I owned my first Snapper I was truly In love with that mower!Never bogged down beautiful cut and well constructed.Had to upgrade in size and I've had slipped disk issues so wanted something that rode smother also. my uncle has always been about Scag... so I took his word and went for it.First the mower started from the very first pass missing strands of grass...not every now and then I mean almost every stalk of bahia so it's crazy but I kept cutting having the ridiculous ideas that "maybe it needs breaking in" nope....65 hours later still doing it... it I cut grass at my place every week it seems to miss ALOT more rarely but on my 2 week yards the bahia is nearly impossible to slay the first pass...no Matter how slow I go. I've tried high lift blades and regular lift. I have also taken the front baffle off the mower thinking the blades have passed the bahia before the baffle let's to stick back up.. baffle is off after adjusting never fixed the issue that has helped but nothing worth smiling about...the snapper would sail straight through it. Now with baffle off I get absolutely covered in dust..I mean clouds.. no matter the time of day blowout of grass/dust I have also started to notice it bogging down more often I thought maybe it's the high lift blades but that was never an issue before..the deck is also completely clear of build up grass as I clean every time I resharpen blades every 8-10hrs I'm just not sure what to do..I've talked to the dealer they've pretty much said kick rocks but not sure if I should sell or if theres ANYTHING I can do to keep this mower and make it work..i mean it rides great.ive been on grasshoppers,kubota,snapper and this one rides the best! Also worth noting my grandfather has the SAME mower from same dealer and he doesnt have these issues he claims the only thing he dislikes is the blowback.Just running out of options guys has anyone experienced this?:wall::nono:

DMT29

LawnSite Member
Can't speak to mowing southern grasses as I live up north. I would double check tire pressure and verify deck level and pitch. At least then you can rule those variables out.

With the baffle off, you WILL get tremendous amounts of blowout. Put it back on in a lower position and it will virtually eliminate blowout.

Grassfire205

LawnSite Senior Member
Very first thing I would do after trying different blades would be check the deck pitch. Your gonna want the rear of the deck 1/4 inch higher to get as much air flow and suction. My Ferris had the same problem from dealer cause deck was level front to back and side to side. Raised the rear up and I can almost go wide open thru bahia and other weedy grasses with clean cuts. Next I would get a tach and check your running at 3600 rpm with pto engaged. If its off a couple hundred rpm that would make a world of difference.

JayinKs

LawnSite Senior Member
First things I would check is the deck pitch and rpm of the engine. What engine did you get? Also, put the baffle back on to the factory setting. Too many guys cutting southern grass with a scag with a baffle. Mine is set to 4 3/4" but I'm in Kansas so? Imo, the scag medi u m lift blades cut the best for me. With the vacuum the v + deck has i wouldnt think you would need high lifts and yes they may need more power.

Also, check that your deck belt is not slipping. Engine rpm may be fine but if the belt is slipping the blades are reaching the full fpm(feet per minute). Maybe others will chime in that cut southern grasses with scag and offer some insight.

JohnD2

LawnSite Member
Did you read the manual for adjusting the baffles ? Also make sure the deck belt is on correctly. Mower won't cut , dealer says pound sand. I wouldn't put up with that. Scags cut wonderfully down here in FL , so something isn't right.

jetson

LawnSite Senior Member
Did you read the manual for adjusting the baffles ? Also make sure the deck belt is on correctly. Mower won't cut , dealer says pound sand. I wouldn't put up with that. Scags cut wonderfully down here in FL , so something isn't right.
Agreed on the dealer. That’s garbage. Are u mowing it low enough? We have this problem with Bermuda. Tall Bermuda when it’s got stuck ups. Or seed. . Our issue is mowing to fast with the deck to high. Not familiar with most ur grass although they have it at our condo in Miami. But we always change to sharp blades and slow down when cutting tall Bermuda-sucks because it’s a mess when mowing it low if it’s tall. . Just an idea.

TPendagast

LawnSite Fanatic
I’ve been warning people about the tiger cat for years now

I’ll put money on the fact the deck is mounted/leveled wrong

Also I don’t recall Scags deck being that great for southern grasses but I could be wrong, I’ve always been a cool season turf guy

JayinKs

LawnSite Senior Member
I’ve been warning people about the tiger cat for years now

I’ll put money on the fact the deck is mounted/leveled wrong

Also I don’t recall Scags deck being that great for southern grasses but I could be wrong, I’ve always been a cool season turf guy
So your saying its because its a TC2 or cuz the dealer set it up wrong? I guess whatever sounds good.

OP
A

Ajames06!

LawnSite Member
Thanks fellas! Just went out and checked my deck and its level as they come! Hope this small of an adjustment is such a change we will see. I have no grass to test on right now but will definitely will change now! How do you pitch the deck at 1/4?Put a level on it until I measure 1/4 inch from level and deck?And I have the kawi 26HP really wish my pops wouldn't of talked me out of the vanguard...he said his 26 kawi was plenty but hes also not cutting yards..just cuts around the farm. But also heard B&S just filed for bankruptcy.sad. also what setting are you guys finding more sufficient on your baffle setting? I will also install it back I tried lowering/raising with little to no change but will install baffle and pitch deck you guys are a ton of help! Cant thank you enough!

OP
A

Ajames06!

LawnSite Member
How can I ensure the belt is installed correctly and not slipping?