1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, in the Franchising forum.

Dismiss Notice

New to the board

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by WildWes, Apr 23, 2002.

1. WildWes

WildWes LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

I just found this discussion forum and feel it may be quite useful. I was looking for a manual for an old Encore mower that needs a little tlc, it's been a fine piece of equipment, but now needs some new belts, bearings, etc.

I do residential landscape maintenance on the side, I've eliminated mowing from my one-man operations, but I'm considering picking up a few accounts to have a weekly "base-pay" to count on. It's been several years since trying to run a full service type company and I'm looking for advice on hourly rates, mowing rates etc.

I haven't had time to really look over the threads, but any pointers or links to particular threads would be appreciated.
    Thanks, WW:)

2. WildWes

WildWes LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

I guess maybe a little clarification might help. When I started my business $15/hr. was a common rate. As I'm looking to move up from "side-jobs" I'm curious if $25/hr. is substancial enough to make money and pay taxes. My overhead is zero as I have all nec. tools. I don't want to be the low bidder on every job because of past experience. Your thoughts??

3. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

Welcome aboard... I have to run out so I'll be brief.

Shoot for $35 and up per hour. You may have low overhead but it is not Zero! Gas, insurance, replacement, repair, etc.. to name a few.

Might want to try to get in touch with the manufacturer for manual..

Good Luck!

4. WildWes

WildWes LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

Thanks, I was thinking of something more in the $30 range but didn't want to go so high as to not be able to get enough jobs. I have several friends in the business (both owners and employees), but getting info out of them is like trying to get blood from a turnip!! The reason I gave up on my initial business was a lack of info. I tried the SBA and found they were simply a waste of time---typical govt. agency...

My current regulars are always satisfied with my work and I don't intend to raise rates across the board, for instance I give my dentist great rates and she does the same for me. Anyway, thanks for the welcome, I intend to be checking back regularly.:)