1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

New to the Industry from Minot,ND!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by TotalLawnCare58703, Apr 24, 2011.

1. TotalLawnCare58703

TotalLawnCare58703 LawnSite Member

Hello All!

I am Landon, 23 years old, from Minot,ND. I just started my lawn care business in Sept 2010. Kind of a late start but I definitely stayed busy during the winter with my snow accounts. For now my business offers spring/fall cleanup, mowing, trimming, and snow removal. I am clueless as far as how to apply liquid fertilizer but it will be a part of my business some day hopefully.

I am trying to educate myself from this website and i would say it is working well. I have been reading about peoples opinions on mowers, trimmers, etc... i would love to buy more equipment and my goal is to have an employee this year. As of now i have a John Deere LT180 48" with a 17 hp Kawasaki, I don't have much time mowing on it but I have a 42" 2 stage snowblower which got used a lot this winter. I run a Stihl trimmer, FS45, and a Stihl blower, SH86C, a Toro mower called a "Super-Bagger" which i believe is a 21" deck with a Honda engine. I bought a 6'x12' open trailer that i haul my equipment around with. For spring cleanup i bought a Bluebird PR22 with a bagger and a Honda 5.5, haven't got to use it yet, still really wet up here.

I have noticed in this business, mostly snow removal so far, most of my customers are very nice and understanding people. I did have one issue with a lady this winter about my bill, she thought i overcharged, but i didn't. So far she is my only unsatisfied customer.

Amy advice would be appreciated, or just someone reading my little Bio i am typing. Some advice would be about bidding jobs, or equipment, or anything would be appreciated. Thank you for your input.

2. ndols2

ndols2 LawnSite Member

Prob. a good time to start a lawn care company there in Minot. theres gonna be a lot of new houses, and apartments. good luck