New to the site. 10 years doing design/install, want to get more maintenance

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Jeff Maxwell, Jul 13, 2019.

1. Jeff Maxwell

Jeff Maxwell LawnSite Member

Hi!

My name is Jeff Maxwell and I have been in business just over 10 years in Austin, Texas. I do mostly native plant design and install, as well as paths/patios/retaining walls/steel edging etc. I have a small number of residential mow/maintain customers but I think I want to expand and get another truck and crew for that part. I started off not doing any mows, but now I see them as easy, steady money that I don't have to supervise as much. I know a whole lot about plants but less about business so I haven't made just a whole bunch of money so far. I hope to learn more about the business side and bidding from yall, as well as more about the ins and outs of commercial equipment.

Thanks!

Cam15 likes this.
  2. Cam15

Cam15 LawnSite Silver Member

Nice to meet ya Jeff! Sounds like you already learned the more skilled side of the industry putting a mowing crew together shouldn't be nearly as hard.

sjessen likes this.
  3. Bronco60

Bronco60 LawnSite Member

I’d think twice about getting in to maintenance. Especially residential. The bigger profit in my opinion is on the install type work you’re already doing. The happiest day I had in business was finally telling the last few resi maintenance customers no more. After the real estate crash in 2006 I decided to build up maintenance bc the install work really wasn’t there. We got to about 300 houses and it was a constant ass whip. Equipment and labor are very expensive and I felt it was a race to the bottom trying to compete with the illegals who mow for $25. All our monthly year round prices started at $150 and even at that price the customers expected the moon. Now we only mow apartment complexes and install strip center- new commercial property landscape and irrigation. Honestly we do 7 apartments on the SW side of Houston, they pay decent but nowhere the margin we get on installs.

4. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

There is a trend in this industry to get out of maintenance and focus more on higher profit segments such as what you are already doing. For many maintenance has become a nightmare due to a lack of labor.

Cam15, TrainingWheels and Charles like this.