New to this site and lawn business

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Grass Cat, May 20, 2020.

1. Grass Cat

Grass Cat LawnSite Member

I am semi-retired and I am starting a lawn care business. I moved to a small TN city that has lots of subdivisions. I see a great opportunity for a lawn care business. Any ideas on used/new zero turn mowers to start out? I need to ride based on some foot issues. Looking at Ariens, Huskavarna, Toro ($3000 range). Want to start solo and go from there. Thanks for any advice!

2. Jeff@diyokc

Jeff@diyokc LawnSite Senior Member

While many folks start a lawn business with homeowner equipment, it is simply not designed for daily mowing chores. Given your budget, your looking at low end big box store equipment.

alluding to your foot issues, I would look for some used commercial stuff at a dealer or search fb marketplace/craigslist.

3. Randall Riley

Randall Riley LawnSite Member
    from Alabama

I'd go with a Toro or John Deere based on your budget. I had a $2,000 JD D130 riding tractor that served me well for three years but it struggled in thicker grass/weeds. Not good on a 4 acre yard. I paid it off the first year with my grass cutting money. If there is enough business to be had, you should be able to get a $4,000 machine and pay it off the first year. Don't skimp on equipment. Buy the best you can at the top-end of your budget or you'll have regrets later.

Jake the grass guy likes this.
  4. Jake the grass guy

Jake the grass guy LawnSite Senior Member

what allowed you to come up with the 3k range? if your wanting to buy outright that makes sense but i would argue with the 0% financing you can get at most dealers keeping the 3k and buying a nice commercial grade mower might be the better option.

5. Crazy 4 grass

Crazy 4 grass LawnSite Gold Member

Agree!

Jeff@diyokc likes this.
  6. Bfish

Bfish LawnSite Member

Go commercial if you can, not just for the 0% financing, but also for reliability and ease of getting parts (things will break).

Is your 3k after you pay for your liability insurance, trailer, rack, string trimmer, and blower? How big of yards? Any gates?

7. Jeff@diyokc

Jeff@diyokc LawnSite Senior Member

^^^^this!!! Irrespective of color, buying from a dealer gets you folks that can fix your stuff. They all break down, it’s equipment.

you will find that the servicing dealer is one of the key parts of doing this as a business. Time is a valuable commodity, and you never have enough when you break down. Some good advice on these posts.

8. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

“I see a great opportunity for a lawn business”
    That’s your imagining running away from you
    DO NOT listen to it.

you don’t have enough money to invest and riding is only half the job.
    So don’t even dream of doing this yourself

you need a minimum of $30,000 to start up a business.
    Save your money, build your credit and when you’re ready hire people to do it for you, from day one.
    Can’t wait that long
    Don’t bother if you can’t do the preparations for it in the first place.

9. Jake the grass guy

Jake the grass guy LawnSite Senior Member

you dont need 30k to start.. and you dont know that he doesnt have the money in the first place?

10. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

If he had the money he wouldn’t be looking for such a low budget mower

And yes
    You DO need significant operating capital
    It’s the number one reason most lawn businesses fail (along with having no idea wth you’re doing and having too much pride to admit it)