Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is it true that toro is coming out with or trying to come out with a w/b that is goin to have a 60-72" cutting deck?

if so where can i find some info on this i talked to a dealer and he quickly mentioned something bout it but not much

·
Registered
11,163 Posts
I have no facts to support it, but yes I do expect a 60" walkbehind with a Turbo Force deck. Pretty much the Toro version of the big Turf Tracers.

·
Registered
11,163 Posts
splatz100 said:
Scag once made a 72" walk behind...I think
Yeah they did, fixed deck belt drives even....

·
Banned
1,817 Posts
Anyone know if Toro is going to have a 36 inch with a turboforce? We currently use Exmark mowers .Our dealer is leaving Exmark and is going to start selling Toro next spring.

He is mucho great person, bends over backwards to help us and if Toro comes up to Exmark standards ,we are going Toro next spring.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
ajlandscaping said:
is it true that toro is coming out with or trying to come out with a w/b that is goin to have a 60-72" cutting deck?

if so where can i find some info on this i talked to a dealer and he quickly mentioned something bout it but not much
I hope they come out with a 60" turbo force deck with a 23Hp motor that would be awesome..

·
Registered
11,163 Posts
Bill,

Unless you are using floating 36's they are the same mower pretty much anyways, deck included.
With a dealer like that, I believe I would stay loyal and jump ship with him.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
drmiller100 said:
just curious, but why is a wb better then ztr?

thanks.
It is cheaper to operate, in addition to being more durable than Z (those mechanical model), WB won't break down easily. If you are good at sulky and know how to operate, it is as good and effective as but not better than a Z. It is more versatile than any other cutting machine. One thing for sure, you don't have big debt like owning a Z. There are ton of used WB available in market with so attractive price that you can get your lawn biz started overnight.

·
Banned
21,630 Posts
drmiller100 said:

thanks.
As one guy said to me: You CAN'T use a ztr on every lawn.

For one, Wb's are half the cost while the ztr is only as good as the SIZE of the lot. The wb (especially 44, 48 and 52") gives the ztr a serious run for the money in anything UNDER an acre due to its light weight, agility, speed, and versatility. With only a 48" wb, you can cut most any yard and don't need another 21" mower to get into the spots the Ztr can't get into. Furthermore, the wb can be taken on dangerous inclines because if it slips, you're not sitting on it. There are more differences but they are debatable.
Now, once you approach an acre and larger size lots, the ztr's true spirit comes out while the wb lags in these larger lots, still it is nice you can cut 2-3 acres with a wb without too much further ado, but it does take longer... The bigger the lot, the further the wb falls behind the ztr... Anything under an acre, the wb is king.

·
Registered
11,163 Posts
Topsites,

In a sense, I agree with some of what you say.
But at the same time I respectfully disagree with other parts.

In the end, I think it what it really comes down to is... what you want, like and need for the investment has a heavy bearing on what a person thinks is better for them. Unless a person does a lot of stuff that is not comfortable with a ZTR or mows under a lot of stuff to save job time.... I think the decision to choose a walkbehind is never really swayed by the productivity factor.

Instead, the decision to forfeit some productivity and other things is 'rationalized' by other positives of the walkbehind.

Take you for instance, I think the walkbehind serves you well in the type of work you do and I don't think you feel the productivity increase of a ZTR is worth the extra initial investment and other possible trade-offs.

Not trying to pick a fight here, just trying to make a point and stress the fact that there are a lot of ZTR v/s Walk Behind "myths" floating around out there and that I'm even handed in addressing them on both sides of the conversation.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
drmiller100 said:

thanks.
I have had both and they both have there pros and cons right now i use a ztr. I have a 52" with a 27Hp toro zmaster with the turbo force. And i had a 52" with a 17Hp hydro toro wb and a swivel sulky.

Walkbehind
Pros
Great on hills
Cheaper to run
Seems easier to work on engine
better on smaller lawns
dont leave as many mud pies when you turn around
they cost less
when it comes to flipping all you have to do is just let go
ZTR
Pros
Much more productive
while they may cost more they make more money becouse they are so productive
better speed
great on large properts
your body doesnt take as much of a beating
you can haul a small trailer behind them
easier to change blades on in my opinion
and easier to get stright lines with
your hands arent killing you at the end of the day and on the weekend your hands dont remind you of work

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ToroLandscaper said:
I hope they come out with a 60" turbo force deck with a 23Hp motor that would be awesome..
as my dealer mentioned they are taking there ztr decks and throwing it on a wb with a engine larger then their usual wb im guessing its going to be something like the exmark wb's

·
Registered
343 Posts
One of the biggest reasons we chose a small ztr was for the comfort and for the ease of changing cutting adjustments. A lot of deck mowers have a fairly slow adjustment unless it is a floating deck. We deal with such a variety of grass that we needed a quick change deck height. Larger mowers probably have differences from the smaller machines we use.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.