Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new Toro Recycler mower that I got about three weeks ago from a mower shop, Model #20067 with a 126T05 Briggs. Works fine almost all the time. But about once a day, when pulled off the trailer for a job, it refuses to start until about ten minutes later when after repeated pulls, it will start up and run just fine again. Can anybody help me on this problem? Just changed the oil recently, could that be the problem?

Any help appreciated!

-Hunter

·
Registered
958 Posts
I have a new Toro Recycler mower that I got about three weeks ago from a mower shop, Model #20067 with a 126T05 Briggs. Works fine almost all the time. But about once a day, when pulled off the trailer for a job, it refuses to start until about ten minutes later when after repeated pulls, it will start up and run just fine again. Can anybody help me on this problem? Just changed the oil recently, could that be the problem?Any help appreciated!

-Hunter
Unlikely you messed anything up with an oil change. When restarting do you use 'no choke' 'half or full choke'?
You should have a 2 yr guaranteed to start with this engine, if all fails, kick it back to the dealer (nicely ofcourse) :usflag:

Godd luck Phil

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies guys. It's a briggs "ready start" engine, no choking or priming needed and it's not an OHV. I just press the lever and pull the cord to start it.

I thought it might be a bad plug, but would that cause it to work only part of the time?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes it sure can, especially if the plug is on the edge of failing or just now starting to go bad,
sounds more like a gap issue thou I would still replace it.
I will try to replace the plug then and see if that helps. Thanks!

Had a similar issue on our B&S engine. Frequently, after tipping over the mower, the float or the needle in the carb was hanging. This carb had over 500 hrs, put a new one on, never had that issue again.
I will check the carb too, thanks for the suggestion!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Are you priming it when you are trying to start it? This engine has a primer on the front of the air filter housing. Unless the engine is quite hot you will likely need to re-prime it to start. Another thing to check is if its priming properly. I have found that sometimes the air filter housing to carburetor is not sealing properly for the primer to work so could also be the air filter gasket. B&S gasket part # 272653 . Just some things to check

Mark

·
Banned
23,143 Posts
I did want to add...
Here is my starting procedure for ALL my recoil engines:

1. Choke ON, full throttle, pull.
2. Choke OFF, full throttle, pull.
3. Choke OFF, idle throttle, pull.
4. Repeat until it starts.

Now this is a bit of a time waster on the one hand because there could be
engines that require to be choked all the time and some with other requirements
regarding the choke/throttle setting and still some that never start on idle BUT!!!

It prevents the carburetor from flooding, and unless there exists another
problem (such as a bad spark plug or anything else) the engine WILL start
sooner or later.

Because on the day a carburetor gets flooded :p
It can put you out for the rest of the day!
But at least an hour or two, or about 50 pulls on that string lol.

You can also reverse steps 2 and 3, doesn't really matter.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Once again, he said this is a ready start engine, there is no primer or manual choke. It has an auto choke. Put in a new spark plug, then when it doesnt start check the spark. If it has spark check the return spring on the choke, I have seen these break a few times. If it is broke be prepared for a back order. I personally hate those ready start engines. If all else fails you should be able to buy a carb and air filter base off of the briggs with the primer and throw that on. Carb should be about 45, base will be 10, should come with gaskets. Just get rid of the choke linkage on the engine. Easy fix

·
Registered
776 Posts
:usflag:Hey phil,
Check out your parts prices though, I bet parts are less where you are at. Us dang americans like new things so they drop the price of new and up the parts prices. By the way, have you noticed that the real "football" season is starting in the states. GO WANKERS

·
Registered
294 Posts
Hi,

Just an old trick if it is not getting fuel when hard to start.

Tilt the mower in such a way that the carb is at the highest point and leave for 5 seconds. Some fuel will flow through the jet into the carb ventura (hole) which is the same as priming.

The emphasis is finding if the motor is needing fuel of if flooded. If the condtion that causes the "hard to start" problem is flooding, then my suggestion will only aggravate the problem.

Pull the plug when the problem occurs and decide if it is flooded or dry.

Good luck,
echoman

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Since I started this thread (two weeks), I havn't had any problems with it and using it every day. Starts first or second pull every time. I bought a new spark plug to try next time it happens though and have a list of all suggestions. I think the engine must have been flooded or something, this a possibilty?

Will post if the problem happens again. Thanks guys!

- Hunter Starnes

·
Registered
776 Posts
Since I started this thread (two weeks), I havn't had any problems with it and using it every day. Starts first or second pull every time. I bought a new spark plug to try next time it happens though and have a list of all suggestions. I think the engine must have been flooded or something, this a possibilty?

Will post if the problem happens again. Thanks guys!

- Hunter Starnes
Figures, its just like when you take a machine to the shop, it works right everytime.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Figures, its just like when you take a machine to the shop, it works right everytime.
Hi,

What happens sometimes when you take it to the shop is similar to what I suggested on tilting the mower to get fuel. You will put the mower in your pickup or the trunk of the car then drive over bumps and around curves to get to the shop. This sloshes the fuel in the carb bowl (or tank on classic briggs) which forces some fuel past the jet into the ventura which primes it.

The next time it won't start, load it in your car or truck then drive around the block. Unload it and start it!!! Haha

echoman

·
Registered
958 Posts
:usflag:Hey phil,
Check out your parts prices though, I bet parts are less where you are at. Us dang americans like new things so they drop the price of new and up the parts prices. By the way, have you noticed that the real "football" season is starting in the states. GO WANKERS
Just to give you an idea of prices. Walbo, Zama carbs for blowers/trimmers. UK priced from £65 to £100, that's approx $120 to $190.

For the record, I can't stand football, bleeding waste of time, I've got three sons who follow Arsenal team, drives me nuts. Although last year I did got to watch the Yankee's at the Yankee stadium and enjoyed every minuet of it.:usflag:

The only sport I enjoy is shooting, a lot less tiring than spending 90 mins running around a footie pitch.

atb Phil

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.