New toro time master bogs down when blades engage.

GreenLawn51

LawnSite Member
Hi guys,
Just picked up a new Toro time master 30. I haven’t time to read up on it much as it’s been busy. Anyways when I engage the blades the engine bogs down a lot and sounds like it’s going to quit. After about two minutes the blades get up to speed. Is there a grease zerk in there or is the belt tensioner too tight? Thanks for any info!

sjessen

LawnSite Fanatic
Hi guys,
Just picked up a new Toro time master 30. I haven’t time to read up on it much as it’s been busy. Anyways when I engage the blades the engine bogs down a lot and sounds like it’s going to quit. After about two minutes the blades get up to speed. Is there a grease zerk in there or is the belt tensioner too tight? Thanks for any info!
It should get better after the engine gets broken in a bit. Also, try engaging the blades more slowly.

DA Quality Lawn & YS

LawnSite Fanatic
I have one. Something is not right with yours. Two mins for full blade speed???

OakNut

LawnSite Fanatic
I always engage the blades slowly.
Not that it matters - I don't think that has anything to do with your issue.

Why screw around diagnosing and fixing a new mower? That's what the warranty is for.
Take it to the nearest Toro dealer.

I assume you bought it at Home Depot, or online because a dealer would have had it running properly before you left with it.

OP
GreenLawn51

GreenLawn51

LawnSite Member
I bought it from a dealer. I’m approaching the 5hr break in. I try to engage the blades slowly, they engage, and then it takes a lot longer than I would think for them to be spinning full speed. That’s just the first lawn of the day, after that it seems to be good.

Hurryupelectric

LawnSite Silver Member
Does the engine slow or does it stay reved and the blades slowly catch up? First time slow spool, then ok? I’d add some tension to the belt from the engine pulley to the blade mechanism.

OakNut

LawnSite Fanatic
Probably does need something adjusted slightly, but I don't know what.
Call the dealer and ask them to look at it.

When I got my 2nd Timemaster, I found that it didn't pull me up hills like my first one did.
Eventually a cable snapped and I had a mangled mess of a belt and just had the dealer fix it.
When I got it back, it was like a new mower. Whatever they did, it improved the "power" and it pulls hills fine now, so I assume it had to do with how something was adjusted differently.

OP
GreenLawn51

GreenLawn51

LawnSite Member
Worked on the new mower today. Let it warm up 15 minutes or so, engaged the blades and they still struggled. Changed the oil for the break in maintenance and popped off the plastic cover on top of the deck. The blade engage cable was super loose. Loosened the bolt holding it in place, pulled the slack out, and re-tightened. Now the blades engage much faster. Added a new hour meter on as well. I'll let you guys know how it works this week running it commercially.

Attachments

• IMG_4521.JPG
    IMG_4521.JPG
    226.1 KB · Views: 21

sjessen

LawnSite Fanatic
Worked on the new mower today. Let it warm up 15 minutes or so, engaged the blades and they still struggled. Changed the oil for the break in maintenance and popped off the plastic cover on top of the deck. The blade engage cable was super loose. Loosened the bolt holding it in place, pulled the slack out, and re-tightened. Now the blades engage much faster. Added a new hour meter on as well. I'll let you guys know how it works this week running it commercially.
Sounds like you have figured it out.

Top Forums