New Toy!

SoCalLandscapeMgmt

LawnSite Silver Member
Bought the crew a new toy last week. So far it's a kick ass little machine.

IMG_8453.jpg

It's a great compliment to the Kubota SSV65 skid steer that we bought earlier this year. I'm kinda kicking myself in the ass wondering why we didn't make this investment years ago. Any of you guys running a compact excavator or a mini-skid or a full sized skid steer?

Garrett1234

LawnSite Senior Member
Incredibly jealous. Limitless is a big word, but i swear it’s the only word to describe a mini ex.
Wish I had one on site full time instead of renting all the time

1idejim

LawnSite Fanatic

View attachment 388958
It's a great compliment to the Kubota SSV65 skid steer that we bought earlier this year. I'm kinda kicking myself in the ass wondering why we didn't make this investment years ago. Any of you guys running a compact excavator or a mini-skid or a full sized skid steer?
Nice!

greenmonster304

LawnSite Platinum Member

View attachment 388958
I have a JD 17G mini ex and I love it. It has been a game changer. It allows us to put in curb stops with ease which I push all customers to do because we are a in a market of second homes and lining up access to basements can be a challenge. We use it for frost free hydrants, digging sleeves, valve boxes, large main lines. When I bought it I was worried it would sit around but it’s used a few times a week.

Garrett1234

LawnSite Senior Member
Can I borrow it?

Been thinking of getting a tractor myself with a backhoe attatchment
I’m not slandering the tractor with backhoe attachment idea. Way better than no backhoe or no excavator. However if you do choose to go that route, that tractor might as well be designated as the backhoe tractor. Because changing implements (box blade, rototiller, mower, etc.) will be such a pain in the arse you won’t even use those other attachments. Now add me to the group that would rather have one than not, but in my opinion it really isolates the tractor for that use or FEL use.

greenmonster304

LawnSite Platinum Member
I’m not slandering the tractor with backhoe attachment idea. Way better than no backhoe or no excavator. However if you do choose to go that route, that tractor might as well be designated as the backhoe tractor. Because changing implements (box blade, rototiller, mower, etc.) will be such a pain in the arse you won’t even use those other attachments. Now add me to the group that would rather have one than not, but in my opinion it really isolates the tractor for that use or FEL use.
I agree. I have both but the tractor is at my cabin and stays there. The backhoe is far better than a shovel but doesn’t compare to an excavator.

NC_Irrigator

LawnSite Bronze Member
I bought a new kubota B26 about 10 years back. We don’t use it now as much as we used to, but it has been a lifesaver for sure.
I debated getting a mini ex vs the B26- It made better sense for us being able to scoop and haul dirt when it’s clean up time around on a lot of the ball field irrigation installs we’ve done over the years. Large Commercial installs as well. Installing 4” or 6” sleeves in parking lots etc.

We also take it on ball field repairs when our main lines are 2’ or more deep it’s a big help.