1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

New trailer time

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by BSDeality, Aug 11, 2004.

1. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

Well, i got in a big wreck and my tongue got bent on my old trailer (6x10). i fixed it, but decided i need a larger trailer anyways.

here she is. it's a 6x12 with a 60"w side gate. and 72"w rear gate. I immediately put electric brakes on it since poor stopping distance was the reason i had to get a new trailer anyways. For you guys that think its not worth it, it is. i love this trailer over my old one because i swapped out the brakes.

I

100_1057.jpg

2. BSDeality

i added some recessed floor rings to hold down the Z

100_1058.jpg

3. BSDeality

i also bought 12 D-rings to weld onto the side frames of the trailer. Was going to put them on today, but it rained.

100_1059.jpg

4. gogetter

gogetter Banned

That's nice. Mind if I ask what you paid for it?

What brand?

Do they make it with a smaller side gate (like 36"-48" wide)?.

5. BSDeality

While i was at it i spent another $80 and put on a break-a-way kit. I know the chance of it ever being put to use is very small, but $80 is cheap enough insurance for me.

100_1060.jpg

6. BSDeality

this is the last one, i bought a brake controller for the truck but i don't really like the way this one works. i think i'm going to get a better one. i mistakenly thought it was an inertia controller, but its not.

100_1061.jpg

7. BSDeality

it is a Carry-On brand trailer. I paid $1300 for the trailer with the gates, i bought it @ tractor supply co.

They make the same trailer without the front/side gate, but not with different sizes ( i don't think). the 60" gate is the only way to go IMO. i can get my 50" WB up fine, i could get a 52/54" up there also, I'd rather have the gate 6" too wider than it needs to be than have it need to be 6" wider when i'm in a pinch.

Overall I'm satisfied with the new trailer. It's not quite as beefy as my old trailer. I have a feeling i'll be re-welding the expanded metal gates in a little while. However i was in a bind because of the accident and had to buy something that day.

all together it took me about 1 day to completely track down and install the brakes. I could probably do another trailer in half the time now that i know how.

8. BladeRunner1967

BladeRunner1967 LawnSite Member

how much does it cost to put brakes on a trailer?

9. BSDeality

all together i spent +/- $500 installing the brakes. that includes all the wires, connectors, hardware, new wiring harnesses.

rough break down as follows:
    (2) backing plates/shoes $60/ea
    (2) drums $65/ea
    (1) breakaway kit $80
    (1) controller $100
    and another $60-70 in harnesses, wires, connectors, etc.

costly? sure. worth it? ABSOLUTELY!

10. blair smock

blair smock LawnSite Member
    from OHIO

man I need to sell mine and get one of those!!!