New trencher

Eagleseye

LawnSite Member
Hey all,
Wanted to get some of your opinions about some trenchers. Looking at the toro trx, boxer 118 or ???. Haven't priced these out yet. Have had a toro 413 in the past and am using ditchwitch 1230 right now. mostly clay condition for soil here. Looking for something a little easier to operate. Any thoughts.

TXirrigation

LawnSite Senior Member
Hey all,
Wanted to get some of your opinions about some trenchers. Looking at the toro trx, boxer 118 or ???. Haven't priced these out yet. Have had a toro 413 in the past and am using ditchwitch 1230 right now. mostly clay condition for soil here. Looking for something a little easier to operate. Any thoughts.
Go with a tracked mini skid, you will not regret it. Versatility to do almost anything, and they only cost a few K more. They are also way more reliable than a walk behind.

SoCalLandscapeMgmt

LawnSite Silver Member
Look at the Ditch Witch RT-12. Last year we replaced out 1020 with an RT-12 and it is an awesome machine. It's so much easier to use and maneuver. It can actually be steered much like a ZTR or a walk behind mower. I've been very impressed with the machine so far. We've used it in a variety of soils from fairly rocky DG to heavy clay and it's performed nicely. It is a bit bigger than the 1230 but it a much better designed and engineered machine. The only difference between the RT-12 and the the RT-16 is the motor. Given that I just don't trust Briggs and Stratton motors anymore we opted for the RT-12 with it's Honda motor.

TXirrigation

LawnSite Senior Member
Look at the Ditch Witch RT-12. Last year we replaced out 1020 with an RT-12 and it is an awesome machine. It's so much easier to use and maneuver. It can actually be steered much like a ZTR or a walk behind mower. I've been very impressed with the machine so far. We've used it in a variety of soils from fairly rocky DG to heavy clay and it's performed nicely. It is a bit bigger than the 1230 but it a much better designed and engineered machine. The only difference between the RT-12 and the the RT-16 is the motor. Given that I just don't trust Briggs and Stratton motors anymore we opted for the RT-12 with it's Honda motor.
Very true, the RT12 is a HUGE improvement over the 1230. Being able to independently operate the drive wheels is awesome. No more pulling and pushing; locking and un locking wheels. If you go this route be sure you get the new design on trencher pivot. The grease cert is impossible to find on the older model and locks up easy.

OP
E

Eagleseye

LawnSite Member
Thanks for the info I'll check it out. All ways been happy with the performance of my ditchwitch. What is the price range on that machine?

TXirrigation

LawnSite Senior Member
Thanks for the info I'll check it out. All ways been happy with the performance of my ditchwitch. What is the price range on that machine?
12-15k new for rt12 depending on motor and tires vs tracks. I bought my sk650 for 15k new bc it was a demo with 50hrs on it. Shop around before you buy new.

Irrigation Contractor

LawnSite Senior Member
I love watching all the videos used by the manufacturers to show off their machines. All of them in Florida sand or in some Iowa corn field. LOL

Demo as many of the machines that you can and then pick what works best. Do not let a few thousand dollars make up you mind, since over the life time of a piece of equipment the wrong unit could cost you double.

We ran 320D's for years and switch last year to the Vermeer's. Like most have said, think hard about getting a tracked machine. With all the rain we have had lately, we have been able to get work done that we never could have with the wheeled machines.

I will say this, the guys really like the controls and how smooth they are over the dingo. The 800 with a 36" boom and a full Shark Chain is a beast. I also think (at least in our area with all the rock) the mini-skids save us a lot of labor. They are not only super fast at trenching, but back-filling, rock removal and the operator is not worn out after trenching.

Kartanimal29

LawnSite Member
Why not use a Vibratory Plow ? Being in FLA you could even go with a small machine. Up here in CT we use the Ditchwitch 410 or the Verrmer LM 42