• Thankful For Your Family…. Business?
    Landscaping businesses are often family endeavors. While this can combine the best of both worlds (personal and professional), it isn’t always smooth sailing. Click here to read more.

New truck build

woodlawnservice

LawnSite Bronze Member
Looking at building another truck rig.. in past its been 3500 one ton trucks.. I think this time I may go with a 4500 izuzu npr style truck... gmc 5500 etc... cab overs... I found one with a 18' landscaping flatbed body. . Has the big long ramp.. has anyone ever used these for a spray setup? Thinking a nurse tank up front behind the cab then have plenty of room to haul 1 or 2 z sprays on the bed... with cabinets etc....

grassmasterswilson

LawnSite Fanatic
I like mine. 200/200 split tanks. Large storage box on other side. I only have enough depth before the dovetail for 1 zmax. i can fit a pallet and zmax side by side but it’s a very tight fit. Reddick equipment in Williamston nc did mine.
1685BDB3-825B-4C83-B49B-6339BA6C1CBE.jpeg

AsaStump

LawnSite Member
We recently just switched over from a one ton and an enclosed trailer to this towards the end of aeration season. The tech loves it! We will be making some modifications over the winter to better suit our needs. It's 16ft bed with 4ft of dove, the passenger side railing folds down. Gate is a split gate that is easy to raise and lower. Tool boxes on the passenger side under the bed. Ours stays in the warehouse over night so I doubt we will get any boxes on it
IMG_3666.jpg

rclawn

LawnSite Silver Member
The main thing from going from a 1 ton to a 450/550 is getting closer to CDL territory (assuming you tow a trailer). I would love a larger truck than my 3500 but you’d need a CDL to haul the dump trailer for anything bigger.

AsaStump

LawnSite Member
If purchased, this truck will not ever haul a trailer.... thus the reason looking to buy one. To eliminate pulling a trailer.
Pay attention to what the pay load is. Ours can haul 9600lbs with out overloading. While looking around we found that most only had 2400 - 4000 lb pay load which would put you over with a pallet of fert and a 200gal tank full

andersman02

LawnSite Senior Member
Can't speak for the dove tail, but we use 550/720gal npr mini tankers exclusively. They are great. Just beware the new diesels and dpf. We have 4 new ones in the last 5 years and 2 of them have had some type of dpf issue repaired under warranty

OP
W

woodlawnservice

LawnSite Bronze Member
Just bought a used one today I jumped on.. its a bit older but only 120k miles. One owner, has a brand new gm transmission.... have the gas 6.0 motor.... runs excellent i made an 8 hr round trip to go get it today.... it was the lowest mileage one I could find for the money and already had a flatbed on it vs the box.... 5k! So it should be a good entry level truck to see if we like them over our current setups... time to start building the tank/ pump setup and get it wrapped...

Attachments

Cam15

LawnSite Fanatic
Just bought a used one today I jumped on.. its a bit older but only 120k miles. One owner, has a brand new gm transmission.... have the gas 6.0 motor.... runs excellent i made an 8 hr round trip to go get it today.... it was the lowest mileage one I could find for the money and already had a flatbed on it vs the box.... 5k! So it should be a good entry level truck to see if we like them over our current setups... time to start building the tank/ pump setup and get it wrapped...
A little off topic but what does something like that cost to get wrapped? Just curious....