Lawn Care Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

NEW TRUCK (im 14)

10K views 91 replies 34 participants last post by  Sean Adams 
#1 ·
hey everyone i am 14 years old and i have been mowing for about 8 years now. only been in the business for 2 years. i have about 7 weekly yards to mow as of now. i have been looking for a good truck and i found this one in the local paper. i am getting my farmers permit today. i cant wait to mow by myself. tell me what you think. its a 1992 gmc sonoma 1/2 ton 4x4 120,000 miles. i paid 2500 for her. COMMENTS WELCOME

Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Vehicle Window

See less See more
#2 ·
u can get a farmers permit in kansas??? lucky. that truck will be a great first truck just treat it right. and keep up on the maintenence

#3 ·
ya thanks man i got a new black plastic gmc tool box for it today. looks pretty sweet. ya you can get one in ks why?

#4 ·
they just stopped issueing them in georgia when I turned14 last year

#6 ·
wamego area

#9 ·
correct me if I'm wrong...but with a farmer's permit you are only allowed to drive to and from things that pertain to farming ONLY. Don't mean to sound like an @$$ here, and I' glad you have the intiative to work, but just don't get caught mowing lawns driving yourself around with a farm realted permit.

#10 ·
correct me if I'm wrong...but with a farmer's permit you are only allowed to drive to and from things that pertain to farming ONLY. Don't mean to sound like an @$$ here, and I' glad you have the intiative to work, but just don't get caught mowing lawns driving yourself around with a farm realted permit.
That use to be the issue in Mn back in the 70's I know to allow farm students to drive to school and return for chore/farm related obligations. Use of the permit was strictly defined use on the farm and related transportation needs.

Just don't get yourself in unneeded trouble and know your restrictions.

#11 ·
hey everyone i am 14 years old and i have been mowing for about 8 years now. only been in the business for 2 years. i have about 7 weekly yards to mow as of now. i have been looking for a good truck and i found this one in the local paper. i am getting my farmers permit today. i cant wait to mow by myself. tell me what you think. its a 1992 gmc sonoma 1/2 ton 4x4 120,000 miles. i paid 2500 for her. COMMENTS WELCOME
You started mowing when you were 6 years old? :confused:

#12 ·
Run farm tags... I bought my truck in 2005, and ran a farm tag on it ever since. It would hurt to have an ag related license plate on the front either. I got my hardship at 15, that will let you drive to work and school legally.

#13 ·
They arent bad trucks. Good mileage for a 92!! Had a 88 but was 2wd, had friends with the 4wd's. The front axle actuator has a tendency to go out on them occasionally. What engine does it have? The 4.3 is a Damn good engine, the 2.8 (thats what mine had) was decent. Better in its later years (wich a 92 would be)

Congrats, and as others said dont get yourself in trouble with that license. I keep trying to explain to my G/Fs daughter that driving now without her permit even though shes old enough isnt worth the consequences

#14 ·
this kid is amazing. mowing at six, driving at fourteen, pretty amazing. :hammerhead:

#15 ·
alright guys i just got back from the dmv after passing my test i asked a man about it and he said that if you are employed you may drive yourself the the destination to work for the employer. i consider mowing for and individual or company as being their employee. thanks for looking out for though. i take it positively!

#16 ·
They arent bad trucks. Good mileage for a 92!! Had a 88 but was 2wd, had friends with the 4wd's. The front axle actuator has a tendency to go out on them occasionally. What engine does it have? The 4.3 is a Damn good engine, the 2.8 (thats what mine had) was decent. Better in its later years (wich a 92 would be)

Congrats, and as others said dont get yourself in trouble with that license. I keep trying to explain to my G/Fs daughter that driving now without her permit even though shes old enough isnt worth the consequences
thanks for the compliments and to answere your question it is a 4.3

#17 ·
Run farm tags... I bought my truck in 2005, and ran a farm tag on it ever since. It would hurt to have an ag related license plate on the front either. I got my hardship at 15, that will let you drive to work and school legally.
exactly. plan to put an eat beef licence plate on the front.

#18 ·
ya i ran an old lawnboy gold series. i was taught by my next door neighbor who is now about 54 years old. he is the reason i got interested in yard care. many people at school joke around saying im addicted to working. or some ask why do you think mowing is so fun? i dont really know why i enjoy it but after every mow i have the want to do it better.

#20 ·
Just give it some time and that will change.....wait,

YOU HAVE BEEN MOWING LONGER THAN ME!!
He's still young and full of energy. :D

I've mowed grass every year, one way or another I "had" to mow grass. It wasn't everyday but enough to know right from wrong. I'm 45 and I started mowing when I was 10. Does this mean I have 35 years experience mowing grass? I've always been a stickler for everything to look perfect from day one when I was a kid.

#22 ·
here are some more pics of my truck.

Car Vehicle Vehicle registration plate Automotive tail & brake light Tire

Car Automotive parking light Land vehicle Wheel Tire

#23 ·
The truck looks good and will work for a while. You have plenty of time to work in life, no need to get too busy working yet. I would cut enough to make some spending money and then worry about making money when you get a little older. Good luck with your cutting.

#24 ·
The truck looks good and will work for a while. You have plenty of time to work in life, no need to get too busy working yet. I would cut enough to make some spending money and then worry about making money when you get a little older. Good luck with your cutting.
Yea, girls start getting real expensive once they get to be about 16-17, and then never get cheaper!

#25 ·
alright guys i just got back from the dmv after passing my test i asked a man about it and he said that if you are employed you may drive yourself the the destination to work for the employer. i consider mowing for and individual or company as being their employee. thanks for looking out for though. i take it positively!
again, I'm trying to be helpful here and not a prick....but you are an independant contractor..not an employee. I'm just trying to pass along info to you that I wish people had passed along to me when I was your age. That whole farmer bit gets abused..I know..I grew up on a farm and still live in a very rural area. Trust me, when you hav a wreck and do serious damage to someone else's property or God forbid kill someone, that whole AW SHUCKS farmer bit ain't gonna help you in court...

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.