Lawn Care Forum banner

New Truck Pics

7K views 40 replies 21 participants last post by  Tadams 
#1 ·
I just bought a 2003 Chevy 2500 HD with the 6.0 liter gasser and 4 spd auto. Options are the plow prep, trailering equipment, locking rear and cab lights. I also got the work truck package which includes the rubber tub floor. Here she is.

It will replace my 85 Chevy as my primary lawn service vehicle and will be my back-up plow truck. The 85 will stay on as primary plow truck, back-up lawn truck and for those jobs high on the scratch and dent index.

Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Tire Car Vehicle

See less See more
#7 ·
Nice truck, I will be purchasing a 2500HD from chevy or gmc or a F250 or F350 before year's end. If you think that interior is no frills then you haven't seen the Ford XL models.

I just drove the 2500 HD with the 4spd auto and the 6.0L V8 today. What a smooth driving truck. Great power and feel to everything in the truck. Just hope to find one with everything that I want. Seems like it would be easy to buy a truck but the damn dealers want to make it a hassle.

#10 ·
The color is "arrival blue". I can tell you after driving around after the snow we just got that it shows dirt very well. That's the problem with the darker colors!

Yes, it does ride smooth and plenty of power. The handling feels a bit mushy to me, but I haven't checked how much air the dealer put in the tires yet.

Now I just need to add some accessories. Maybe some cab steps, definitely one or more tool boxes, a bed liner, some window deflectors, mud flaps etc.

Barkleymut - You can do a search of vehicles in your area through Chevy's web site. I was lucky enough to find 6 in my area that matched what I was looking for.

#14 ·
darryl,
Great looking truck! I love the Arrival Blue. It's really nice to see a base model truck for a change. A lot of the dealers around here like to stock loaded out pickups with every option. Not everyone can afford that, and not everyone wants it. Luckily last year when i was looking i found a base model 2002 K1500 4x4 5 spd with the manual transfer case in the Victory Red color. I love my truck, and i hope you get great service out of your new one as well. Best of luck.

Tim:D

#15 ·
Thanks for all the compliments guys.

Pottstim - I know what you mean about all the trucks on the lots being loaded, and I prefer the manual transfer case too. Good luck trying to find a stick shift though. The only one I saw was a Ford SD with a 6sp stick, and I probably looked at a couple hundred trucks.

Luckily the Chevy dealers around me have figured out that there is a work truck market and stock base model trucks with all the mechanical upgrades. However, they tend to NOT add the plow prep package, the locking rear diff. and cab lights to the loaded models. Given a choice, I'd rather have the plow prep package and locking rear than power windows and door locks.

Chevy equips the base model pretty well, just no electrical convience features like heated mirrors, rear window defogger, elect. door locks and windows, cruise control, climate control. For a work truck, I can deal with it as long as it's got AC and an FM radio. The rubber tub floor is a must for me, especially when plowing.

#18 ·
Darryl,
Yeah i know exactly what you mean about it being hard to find a manual. I had been to the 3 big Chevy dealers in knoxville and neither of them had a 5 spd truck like i wanted....all were automatic. They said no one wants them, so we rarely if ever stock them. I tried to deal with my hometown dealer on an automatic K-1500 Base, but he wouldn't give me what i wanted on trade..nor would he budge on sticker price. So, i went up to the chevy lot in morristown, and they had my truck there. They made me a deal, and it was pretty close to what i wanted. The sales mgr told me to take the truck home that night and drive it as much as i wanted and think the deal over. He said if you don't like it or don't like the deal there will be no questions asked...you can be on your way. Needless to say, i took the evening to think about it, and drove in there the next morning and signed the papers. They wouldn't come down anymore on price, but i did get them to throw in a set of the molded chevy splash guards installed for nothing. My truck is equipped like this: 4.3 V6, NV3500 5spd trans., Air Cond., Manual transfer case, Base trim pkg., cruise control, pwr locks, carpet, chrome grille, bumpers and wheels. Sticker price on it was $21,870. I like the victory red, but i wish they had the arrival blue in 2002. You got yourself one nice truck!

Tim:D

#21 ·
mdb landscaping- " and ticks brickman off.... "

yeah i was just thinking the same thing.LOL I think it's great he hasn't loused up a good thread with his Ford is #1 BS. That stuff gets kind of old, especially all the sarcasm. I just don't go for that.

#23 ·
LOL@ Randy....i don't have any problem with your post, you're cool. I just get tired of seeing a certain person dissing other people's trucks that are not Fords. :rolleyes: Some people just think everything they own is better than the next guy's stuff. To each his own, but some comments are better kept to yourself.

#24 ·
Actually I can think of 3 guys that have pretty stong opinions on Fords. 2 of them are actually pretty cool, they just have a strong bias, which is ok. The 3rd, which doesn't post quite as often, is just plain foolish. He thinks any truck other than Ford isn't really a truck. And Brickman actually helped me out recently with a little advice. Which I guess means I now have to come clean now. I actually just bought a Ford Powerstroke :eek: ! Now if I can just find a nice clean Chevy, I'll be playing all sides:angel:

Randy

#25 ·
If I couldn't buy a Ford it would be a Chebby I used to work for the local highways dept contractor and all their p/u's are Chevs and they get the crap beat right out of them and still come back for more.

A friend of mine used todo P+D work with a older 3500 and he put some extreme loads (8000-9000lbs) on that old truck sure he didn't have enough braking power but otherwise the truck handled it fine. The only drawback about the Chevy 4x4s is the IFS isn't all that good it works good for highway use truck that need extra snow traction or used on mild off road conditions.

Chevs gotta be good you see lots of them on the road as work trucks (Tow truck Ambulance Cube van Flatdeck Fire rescue) they used tobe used quite a bit in the bush but when Chevy took away monobeam axles in the 4x4s it hurt them. Highways depts use Chevys just as much as Fords its almost 50/50 from 1/4 tons to 1.5 tons like 450s and 3500HDs.

#26 ·
havent decided whether i like the new design better than the old

but then again i never disliked the avalanche, so the resemblence is less offensive to me.

and as darryl says, give me anything that beefs up the truck over power accesories.

they call these "landscaper specials" around here. we bought one recently that had everything EXCEPT a hitch...go try figure that out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.