Lawn Care Forum banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts
mdb landscaping- " and ticks brickman off.... "

yeah i was just thinking the same thing.LOL I think it's great he hasn't loused up a good thread with his Ford is #1 BS. That stuff gets kind of old, especially all the sarcasm. I just don't go for that.

LOL@ Randy....i don't have any problem with your post, you're cool. I just get tired of seeing a certain person dissing other people's trucks that are not Fords. :rolleyes: Some people just think everything they own is better than the next guy's stuff. To each his own, but some comments are better kept to yourself.

Actually I can think of 3 guys that have pretty stong opinions on Fords. 2 of them are actually pretty cool, they just have a strong bias, which is ok. The 3rd, which doesn't post quite as often, is just plain foolish. He thinks any truck other than Ford isn't really a truck. And Brickman actually helped me out recently with a little advice. Which I guess means I now have to come clean now. I actually just bought a Ford Powerstroke :eek: ! Now if I can just find a nice clean Chevy, I'll be playing all sides:angel:

Randy

If I couldn't buy a Ford it would be a Chebby I used to work for the local highways dept contractor and all their p/u's are Chevs and they get the crap beat right out of them and still come back for more.

A friend of mine used todo P+D work with a older 3500 and he put some extreme loads (8000-9000lbs) on that old truck sure he didn't have enough braking power but otherwise the truck handled it fine. The only drawback about the Chevy 4x4s is the IFS isn't all that good it works good for highway use truck that need extra snow traction or used on mild off road conditions.

Chevs gotta be good you see lots of them on the road as work trucks (Tow truck Ambulance Cube van Flatdeck Fire rescue) they used tobe used quite a bit in the bush but when Chevy took away monobeam axles in the 4x4s it hurt them. Highways depts use Chevys just as much as Fords its almost 50/50 from 1/4 tons to 1.5 tons like 450s and 3500HDs.

havent decided whether i like the new design better than the old

but then again i never disliked the avalanche, so the resemblence is less offensive to me.

and as darryl says, give me anything that beefs up the truck over power accesories.

they call these "landscaper specials" around here. we bought one recently that had everything EXCEPT a hitch...go try figure that out.

Discussion starter · #27 ·
Well I firmed up the feel of the truck a bit. The dealer had 44 pounds in the front tires and 34 in the rear. I took them up to 60 front and 70 rear and like the handling better.

Sure does burn some fuel though. Filled it for the first time today. It took 16 gallons after about 150 miles of around town driving with no load. That's almost as bad as my 85.

Daryl,

Congratulations on your beautiful new truck. It's awesome!

I am in the market for one myself but can't decide between a 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton. The 3/4 ton is definitely way more powerful but I don't use the truck that much for work and the fuel consumption on that big 6.0L V8 is pushing me away from the 3/4 and down to a 1/2 ton. What's your fuel economy on that engine?

From my research, the 3/4 ton will consume approx. $300 to $400 (U.S. dollars) more fuel than a 1/2 ton with a small V8. That's for regular driving with no loads/trailers. The Isuzu diesel would be even with a 1/2 ton, in terms of fuel economy.

Darryl, seems like the tire pressure you put in is a little high. Why would you exceed the manufacturers recommendation?

Anyways, I'll post some pics of my new 03 2500HD on Thursday after I pick it up. Instead of the 4x4 I got the extended cab. Hey I live in the south....we never get snow. I really need to knock on some wood! It is a base model, like my dad always says "power windows-Just one more thing to break"

Barkley,
Congrats on your new truck! I will look forward to seeing the pictures.

Tim:D

Discussion starter · #33 ·
Joed - Too early to tell what my mileage is for sure, since I just filled the tan for the first time, but it looks to be around 9 to 10 mpg. I'll have a better idea soon. I don't know what you're towing or hauling, but the 3/4 tons are way tougher all around and I didn't even consider a 1/2 ton.

Barkleymut - Thanks. They are 80 PSI tires (E load rating). The manufacturer recommendation is 60 PSI front, 80 rear, and 80 for the spare, so I've actually got the recommend pressure in the front and 10 PSI less in the rear. I'd like to see the pics of your extented cab. I ruled them out because I wanted an 8 foot bed and the wheel base is kind of long for plowing on the 8ft w/ extended. It would be like trying to turn a Ford!:D

Rodfather - It WAS too clean - filthy now with all the sand on the roads.

darryl- thanks for the info. I didn't realize there needed to be such high pressure in the tires. I guess there will be a few things I need to get used to compared to my 98 Dodge 1500.

As for the wheelbase, yeah its gonna be kinda tough on city streets but most of my work is in the suburbs where there is always ample room to manuever. I will also be purchasing an enclosed trailer in the next year that will be between 20 and 24 feet. My current 16 ft open trailer should still be easy to drive with. Sure will feel easier with the bigger brakes and all that extra HP and torque the Chevy's have.

I will have the truck tomorrow, they are driving it down from northern Virginia and I can pick it up tomorrow evening. I may just drive over there in the afternoon to watch them detail it. I just hope it drives like the one I test drove. What a big step up from my Dodge.

By the way when do ya'll do a break in oil change? I've always done it between 500-1000 miles and then again at 3000. Then its every 3000.

Also I have to say thanks to my father in law who gave me $3810 in GM card dollars to buy this truck. On top of the $3000 in rebates I got a sweet deal.

One more thing- Does anyone buy the extended warranties? I can buy one that only excludes maintenance items for $1000. That is good for 5 years and 75K. Just wondering if anyone has opinions on this.

I'm not a huge believer in extended warranties, but if you were going to, I'd check with the dealer. It seems most of the time anymore, the dealers warranty will be refunded in full, if it's never used. I don't think the aftermarket warranties would be refunded in full.
I would change oil as you recommended, but I would seriously consider synthetic oil after about 10,000 miles. You could then up your changes to every 5000 - 7500 miles easy enough. I go 10,000 miles on mine, but most of my driving is highway.

Randy

Discussion starter · #37 ·
Barkley - That does sound like a sweet deal. I don't know when the first oil change is, I'll have to check. I've only got a couple hundred miles on it, so I'm sure it's got a little while. I never go for the extended warranties, I'll play the odds. Especially with a Chevy!

Many dealers and people will now say the change at 1000 miles isn't needed.

It's $25 at most for a vehicle that cost 1000 times that price!!!

Do it..

Even if it only gets out 2 pieces of metal, hey, it was worth it.

Then do it every 3000 thereafter without fail..

I plan on doing mine every 2800 so that when I go over and actually get it done on the next weekend, it's at 3000. <G>

Gary

21 - 40 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.