new truck time whats your opinions on the big three diesel trucks?

toomuchtime

LawnSite Senior Member
Ready to get a new truck going through the dodge vs ford bs

I need a F550 or ram 5500 equivalent so it leaves the chevy out.

What do you guys think of the new ford 6.7?

Any one driven a 2012 ram 5500? how rough is the ride unloaded?

I want this kind of a dual purpose truck.
Will be a work truck for me hauling equipment lots of use off road and will also be used to haul the family around from time to time and the family fith wheel on a a vacation every now and then.
will be around a 170" wheelbase crew,4x4 with a goose neck ft bed.
I will have about 4000lbs of payload on this truck in offroad conditions a good part of its life.fords new frame scares me a little bit with the torsional flex offroad.

I think the dodge is the more heavy duty of to I'm just wandering if the ride will be to harsh when its not loaded and working for the family.

Thanks for the input guys.

Last edited:

ksss

LawnSite Fanatic
If your check out some RV sites and the Ford truck sites you will run across massive threads on failures of the FORD fuel injection system and specifically the Bosch pump. The unbelievable thing is FORD seldom covers the repair which according to what I have read goes from 10-15K. Many are putting on their insurance. Its a bad deal and seems to be causing a lot of headaches. I personally have a friend that bought a new 2011 KR and his went out and FORD denied the claim. Some how he got the fuel supplier to pay for the repair after months of fighting it. He traded it in on a Denali.

Right now I buy the Dodge. These failures seem to be running about 1% according to what I have read (not sure if thats accurate). Its a question of how lucky you feel I guess. If you plan on buying the FORD, I would spend a couple days (and I am not kidding there is that much written about it) and read up on and decide for yourself.

meets1

LawnSite Gold Member
No experience but my nieghbor has the 5500 dodge. 4x4 cummins flat bed hauling seed, fert or 5th wheel trailer. He traded the ford - no good, alot of problems. He likes the dodge - says its a little noiser than the ford, ride he says is about the same. Fuel - not a concern cuz her really doesn't watch that. His is a single cab. Best of luck

OP
T

toomuchtime

LawnSite Senior Member
wow ksss thats some reading right there. Ive searched and searched never found anything along those lines but now that i search bosch all kinds of stuff comes up. man I don't think I'm going to go that route. Its crazy.

i ve had 05 duramax that went through a tranny at 20 K and three sets of injectors by 30K sold that and bought a 06 f350 blew the head gasket twice by 40k sold that and bought a tundra. Tundra was a good truck just felt like I was driving a camry.

I now have a need for a big truck again so switching it up will be good I'm gonna go with the ram. I found 2012 5500 crew 4x4 with a 176 wheel base Im think i can get about a 9' goose neck bed on there and it will be exactly what i need.

never though I would one a dodge nothing against them just never thought it. Dodge hear I come lol.
Whats you guys take on aluminum vs steel flat bed. I would like to go aluminum but i worry about the torsional flex off road with 5K on it.

What your guys take?

Thanks for the input guys

stuvecorp

LawnSite Fanatic
If your check out some RV sites and the Ford truck sites you will run across massive threads on failures of the FORD fuel injection system and specifically the Bosch pump. The unbelievable thing is FORD seldom covers the repair which according to what I have read goes from 10-15K. Many are putting on their insurance. Its a bad deal and seems to be causing a lot of headaches. I personally have a friend that bought a new 2011 KR and his went out and FORD denied the claim. Some how he got the fuel supplier to pay for the repair after months of fighting it. He traded it in on a Denali.

Right now I buy the Dodge. These failures seem to be running about 1% according to what I have read (not sure if thats accurate). Its a question of how lucky you feel I guess. If you plan on buying the FORD, I would spend a couple days (and I am not kidding there is that much written about it) and read up on and decide for yourself.
Wow, Ford just can't catch a break although they are dumb as a rock - just put the Cummins in it...

I was really fired up when Dodge and Sterling first came out but the dealers I had talked to didn't seem to care. At this point, why not Dodge?

ksss

LawnSite Fanatic
I put SSL attachments on my 5500 so I went with steel. I did not think the alum. would hold up with the attachment scrubing on the bed plus chaining the attachments down on the rub rail. I maybe underselling alum. but steel seems to be the better bed for these types of applications. It would be nice not having to repaint it every couple years.

OP
T

toomuchtime

LawnSite Senior Member
My thoughts also just don't know if the aluminum can take the abuse. The dealers trying to sale me this bed. its growing on me never really seen anything like it but I'm not sure if theres enough deck space for me.

#51753 010.jpg

5500 MegaHauler.jpg

AWJ Services

LawnSite Platinum Member
There is one major problem with the Cummins...... It's in a Dodge.

There is not a new truck i would feel comfortable buying in the F450/550 size.
The Ford is the best truck with there new engine and have finally seem to have hit a homerun and then this Bosch pump crap happens and Ford is not handling it well.

My opinion. The best work truck in this size available is a 2001-2003 7.3l Ford and a the 4500/5500 Duramax Chevies.

You can buy 2 of these trucks for what a new truck costs.