• Thankful For Your Family…. Business?
    Landscaping businesses are often family endeavors. While this can combine the best of both worlds (personal and professional), it isn’t always smooth sailing. Click here to read more.

New Truck

CROCODILE

LawnSite Member
Here is a couple pics of a truck I just bought for the upcoming sealcoating season. 1989 f350 DRW..7.3 liter diesel 82,000 miles. Just got to get her prepped!:)

BUFFALO TRUCK 2.jpg

BUFFALO TRUCK.jpg

blakerugg

LawnSite Senior Member
Here is a couple pics of a truck I just bought for the upcoming sealcoating season. 1989 f350 DRW..7.3 liter diesel 82,000 miles. Just got to get her prepped!:)
looks like the perfect body for sealcoating. if you dont mind me asking how much did it cost you?

Kennedy Landscaping

LawnSite Fanatic
Nice truck, have a good season with it!

grassman177

LawnSite Fanatic
sweet, the engine is tougher than the truck!!! i would love that engine in a super duty

White Gardens

LawnSite Fanatic
Thanks for the comments! Hopefully I will have a good season with it.
All the best.:)
Do yourself a favor though.

Make sure with that truck that you check the SCA levels in the radiator fluid. The 7.3's are the same block as the 6.9's, just bored out bigger.

So, the cylinder walls are a little thinner and can "flex". What then happens is that you get air-bubbles in the water jacket that can cause "cavitation" on the cylinder wall.

Basically it creates a pin-hole in the cylinder, and can trash the motor.

Just check the SCA levels in the rad fluid and you will be fine.

White Gardens

LawnSite Fanatic
Also, do yourself another favor and install a mechanical oil-pressure gauge, and an aftermarket radiator temp gauge. The gauges in these trucks suck.

Oil pressure in the 6.9/7.3 should be anywhere from 10psi at hot idle, up to 40+psi at higher rpms.

OP
C

CROCODILE

LawnSite Member
Also, do yourself another favor and install a mechanical oil-pressure gauge, and an aftermarket radiator temp gauge. The gauges in these trucks suck.

Oil pressure in the 6.9/7.3 should be anywhere from 10psi at hot idle, up to 40+psi at higher rpms.
Hey I appreciate the great advice. I will be doing the things you mentioned in the above post. You may have saved me alot of money and a big pain in the a**.

thanks again.

White Gardens

LawnSite Fanatic
Here is a website I found on the correct coolant flush and fill on the 7.3 diesel.

http://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/f47/coolant-changing-instructions-163800/
That's the forum that I am a part of. Tons of great info. I hung out in the 6.9 forum. Pete, CDNSARGUY, on there is the man, always listen to what he has to say.

The beauty of these motors are that they are cheap to work on, and easy to do your-self.

If you look in the 6.9 section I have posts about me trashing my 6.9. I don't know if your truck is a manual or auto, but I know most of my parts on my 87 should fit on your truck if you want any back-up parts. I'd just have to ship them so I don't know if it would be worth it or not.