• PPP The Second Time Around
    The Emergency Coronavirus Relief Act of 2020 passed in December contained $284 billion for the renewed Paycheck Protection Program (PPP). Click here to read the article.

New Truck

BensLand

LawnSite Member
It's time to buy a new truck maybe used. I'd like to hear different opions to compare makes of trucks.Pros and cons.I'm interested in a diesle but wonder if they are worth the extra cost. I'm a one man show right now I do 40% maintenance an 60% construction. Right now I'm using a 1967 Ford F100 short bed and pull a 14' trailer.

HOMER

LawnSite Gold Member
Buy the diesel, save on your fuel costs. You will be better off in the long run because it's going to be a truck that will last for years, it will most likely be 3/4 ton which offers better pulling and braking over the 1/2 ton. I'm happy with the one I bought.

Homer

Currier

LawnSite Senior Member
I have a 95 f250 and I love it. I have used 1/2 tons in the past and always felt they were stressed to the max. The 3/4 ton has been seriously loaded down but has not "felt" like it was about to give up the ghost. Go at least 3/4.

RYAN

LawnSite Member
I would recommend going with a 3/4 ton. I use a 1/2 ton now and wish I had gone for the 3/4. Which I will do for my next truck. I would go for a used truck which is still in good shape to save some $.

Ryan

If you are going to steal second make sure the first baseman doesn't have the ball hidden in his glove.

CCSwanson

LawnSite Member
I just bought a Chevy 2000 K2500 (old body style) equipped with 5.7 auto, ac, am/fm cass, tilt, cruise, 3.73 L/S gear, for 22500 brand new The truck pulls a skid loader with no problems and holds a load very well. Have yet to see how well it will push snow. But overall I am very happy with the truck 5 months old 15,000 miles.

John DiMartino

LawnSite Silver Member
I would buy a 94-98 used,they are the best value in my opinion.Definetely go with a 3/4 ton.Towing with a 1/2 ton the truck is always rocking around due to the light springs,especially with tall loadfs on trailers.I do not want to tell you what brand to buy,thats your decision,based on the whats available used in your area.I would personally Buy a GM truck,but thats me.I feel they hold up the best,and are by far the easiest to work on and the ride height of the 3/4 ton isnt so high that the bed is useless like on the Ford SD 4x4,and Ram 2500 4x4's.If your buying a diesel,maybe look into a Dodge,or(gulp)Ford-I hate that word.

CCLC

LawnSite Senior Member
Of course 3/4 ton is the way to go if you can afford it. Money is always the issue. If you have to get a half ton make sure you get HD shocks and springs, trailering packages (HD Tranny cooler, HD radiator), correct load range tires, etc.