New Trucks VS. Used Trucks

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Chris Pinder, Apr 20, 2018.

1. Chris Pinder

Chris Pinder LawnSite Member

First time posting, long time reader.

I keep having a battle in my head whether or not my company is making the right decision with our fleet. Ill list off what we currently are using:

2004 Ford F550 6.0L - Dump Box - 130,000 Miles
    2005 Ford F250 5.4L - Crew Cab - 191,000 Miles
    2007 Ford F550 6.0L - Flat Deck - 120,000Miles
    2008 Ford F350 6.4L - Crew Cab - 87,000 Miles

The trucks are used daily year round. We run Boss V blades on them all winter and they are used to float equipment and haul material to jobs in the summer. Trucks are washed daily, stored indoors in winter ( when not plowing), and any issues are reported to the office immediately.

The last 2 to 3 years have been insane on how much we have spent on repairs. We are constantly down 1 to 2 trucks, our repair bills have become sickening. I need some advice from other people in this field.

I always thought I was better off operating without vehicle payments but I feel we are currently spending that much on repairs some months anyway. Then I factor in downtime of the trucks and how that is actually affecting the operation of the business daily. Am I the only one going through this? Did I just run into a string of bad luck?

Throw some input at me if you could, would be much appreciated.

Cheers

2. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

used trucks used to be a good idea. they've gotten so expensive now that you might as well buy a new one. i mean yeah you can get a used one for a good price but it's gonna have a ton of miles on it and lots of repairs needed down the road too. if you find a decent used one with low miles it almost costs as much as a new truck.

CGros31, Cjames808 and BrandonV like this.
  3. hort101

hort101 LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from S.E. New England

IMO you wouldn't have made this post if these were 7.3s:weightlifter:
    What kind of problems?

4. Mitty87

Mitty87 LawnSite Silver Member

I just spent 4K on compete brakes all around, u joints, a bearing, sway bars, ignition problems, diff service/couple other minor things on a 2001. Hopefully these large repair bills are only a once a year thing.

hort101 likes this.
  5. River

River LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Wisconsin

The 2005-2007 6.0 is a good choice. It’s less than a 7.3 and will ride smoother than a 7.3 and has more power. The 2004 models were bad but for 2005 ford changed over 100 things on the 6.0 to make it much better.

6. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

7.3s are getting long in the tooth

If you’re not making the repairs yourself and you’re paying outside mechanics profit
    Ditch the older trucks

If you’re using your own mechanic and just buying parts
    It is what it is

7. Mitty87

Yea, I like mine but there is a handful of things that can cost 2-5k since I don't do the work. By the time warranty runs out and 6 years of payments finished, it probably nearly evens out with the added resale value of new, plus less likely to have down days which is worth something.

8. Reedo

Reedo LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from S.E. Minnesota

Since about 2005 we have only purchased new trucks for the most part. The only used trucks we have purchased have been a 2007 GMC 4500 that had about 7500 miles in 2008 and a 2002 Isuzu NQR about the same time with about 150,000 on the clock. With brakes and other minor repairs we have stuck maybe $5000 at the most into our fleet of 8 vehicles. I’m a believer in buying new in most cases.

HawkeyeLawnCare and Mitty87 like this.
  9. hort101

hort101 LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from S.E. New England

Just do good Maintenance:mechanic:
    The road salt ruins everything here

Mdirrigation likes this.
  10. Mitty87

Well it was someone's work truck for several years and everything was fine when I got it, but I know many parts will have to be replaced eventually, hopefully only putting 15,000km a year so I probably won't get hit with too much every year. I just want the tranny to hold up, injectors, whatever is expensive, at 150,000 miles now so will be happy to put another 100 on it.

hort101 likes this.