Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a lightly used Turfco xt5 earlier in the year. I used it for the first time the other day and it is WAY better than the Lawnaire IV that I rented last year. But, I do have trouble trying to get their circular pattern down. I'll look at their video again. But, I certainly struggled with that and ended up going over the same area a few times when it came to turning. Any suggestions? Either way, pretty nice machine.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Why circles? Make a couple of perimeter passes then go back and forth. If double passes, then change your passes by 90 degrees just like cutting grass

Reactions: mowmoney69

·
Registered
7,041 Posts
I have one. You can't make sharp turns. You can make turns similar to a car turning a corner. I make what is close to a k turn by turning then reversing while turning the other way. All done with the tines down.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They encourage you to use a circular pattern, but I struggled with it. They don't want you to simply go back and forth. Granted, this was my first outing with it. I like it, but I have to get better at it.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
I have the ride on exmark aerator. I do not make sharp turns with the tines down. I make my perimeter passes and then I go back-and-forth. As quickly as these machines are, the few seconds that it takes to make a U-turn and engage the tines is negligible. I don’t understand why they don’t want you to go back-and-forth. What is their reason for going in a circular pattern?

·
Registered
7,041 Posts
I have the ride on exmark aerator. I do not make sharp turns with the tines down. I make my perimeter passes and then I go back-and-forth. As quickly as these machines are, the few seconds that it takes to make a U-turn and engage the tines is negligible. I don’t understand why they don’t want you to go back-and-forth. What is their reason for going in a circular pattern?
If you turn with the tines down you don't have to lift up the bar and put it back down like all the other walk behind aerators. This video shows turning and shows that a sharp turn to do the row right next to the previous is not really possible. I do it only by doing a k turn which includes going in reverse on the second part and then going to the next row on the third part of the turn.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
By the way, what depth setting should I use? There is 1 3/4 and 2 3/4. I am overseeding the lawns that I aerate. Thanks. BTW, I really like this machine. So much better than the Lawnaire IV that I rented. That thing wore me out. I was hoping to find a stinger, but I must say, this suits my needs and my budget better.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Oh,OK. I thought you both were talking about the Ryan ride on…my bad!!!

I have the old Lawn Solutions walk behind also, so yes, I know what ya”ll are talking about now

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
So, first things first, as it seems some people haven't actually used this machine before that have replied. you SHOULD do a circular pattern. Make as minimal 3 point turns as possible. Its not a Ryan, thats not how its meant to be ran.

Do 2 perimeter passes, and on the 2nd, try to make everything as straight as possible, even if that means going over an area twice. Then start going in your circles. On the corners, periodically you should "cut" the corner to make it less sharp.

On bigger areas, wide open, its easiest to cut the area in half. Do your 2 perimeter passes then do 1 right down the middle. do your third pass along the side then a pass down the middle stripe further away from the perimeter pass you just did, then just keep going around. Youll go over areas 3-4 times but its MUCH easier and quicker.

·
Registered
7,041 Posts
The best thing about this machine is it's ability to go in reverse with the tines down. There have been times when I did a row, then angled it over a little bit and did another row in reverse. It overlapped a lot, but I did it because there was hardy any room to turn around.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OK, with regard to circles, I just tried to work this out on paper and my issue is that the circles get tighter and then I miss spots. How many rows do you skip? Other scenario is that when I get to the ends, where I turn, I am running over the same spots multiple times.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts