New Ventrac issues or concerns

zlandman

LawnSite Bronze Member
Isn't that the truth. Im in Ohio as well and man was this last year crazy with the rain which led to just a nightmare of a fall leaf season. I had several weeks where I had to skip the majority of my properties due to the turf being so bad. The Ventrac would have most certainly would have earned a lot of that lost income back for me.

We are in a weather dictated business so who knows what next year will be like. I run Scags now and they have been a great mower and allow me to mow in the wet conditions where before I would not be able to or cause more of a mess than anything. The Ventrac deck has a wide discharge like the Velocity so I assume and from testimonies the cut shouldn't be too far behind the scags.
Yep, it was clump and go in 2018. The old toro super flow did well in wet grass but exmarks offerings now a days are good in perfect conditions only. The scags do seem to be pretty good cut all around.

Grass Bass

LawnSite Member
Yep, it was clump and go in 2018. The old toro super flow did well in wet grass but exmarks offerings now a days are good in perfect conditions only. The scags do seem to be pretty good cut all around.
You may want to consider a scag I battled clumping issues with my gravely and it sucked. The velocity deck cuts and throws the clippings vs. cutting and processing them over and over. This lends to better results in thick and wet grass. The exmarks are killer in drier conditions but for commercial cutting ill pass. I really like the wright ZK's but I'm not sure if ill ever leave my velocitys lol.

Bob D.

LawnSite Member
I bought the "Y" and installed a turbo kit. I'm getting about 34HP and close to 70 ft/lb of torque. Also 4-5 hours of work on a 6-gallon tank at 3400 RPM's. I realize the "Z" has more stock power, but add the $3K turbo price/power and do the math on 3,000-4,000 hours of use for gas consumption and the diesel's longevity and resale value.
UPDATE on the fuel consumption. After breaking in the D902 diesel--I'm getting about 8-hours of work from the 6-gallon tank.

Bob D.

LawnSite Member
leaning towards a ventrac because we can use it about 40 hours a week year round and a skid would be more like 20 hours a week 9 months out of the year.

My main concern is I heard it will overheat easy and living in Texas with temps above 100 throughout the summer, this would be a huge problem. Another concern is I don’t have a dealer close to me. Would a gas or diesel be better, I was leaning towards diesel but that’s the engine I saw would overheat.

Overall it will make us more money/hour if we don’t incur a lot of downtime. It will handle prep for sod/hydroseeding (some steep slopes too), trenching, mulch/stone install on existing and new development properties, brush mowing and finish mowing, spreading and spraying chemicals. Also stump grinding would be a big plus. It should average us about $100/hour plus an operator charge.

A skid or mini skid can be rented with any attachment if we needed something the ventrac can’t do.
Hi Cameron,

I bought the 4500Y diesel option and had the dealer install an aftermarket turbo kit. (Turbokits.com) It will add close to $3K to the price. Mucho dinero. However, after 250-hours I would do the same thing again. Besides the overall longevity of a diesel (Dealers tell me they routinely see 10,000-12,000 hours on them), over time they will save you a ton of money because of their fuel efficiency. The 4500Y Owner's Manual states fuel consumption of 1.1-gals. per hour. I've been getting closer to 1.5 even while cutting grass and the high revs. ALSO, the turbo has increased the 24.8HP of the D902 engine to 36HP while the ft/lb of torque is close to 80 ft/lb. Simply put--it's an animal with good fuel efficiency that will make the power and increased attachment capabilities. Look, I appreciate the extra price that most people will shy away from. I went through the same thought process, but then figured this will probably be my "go-to" personal multi-purpose machine for the rest of my life--there really wasn't a good reason not to spend the extra money. I bought the necessary attachments. The dozer blade, the 72" mower deck, the bucket with grapple and the Terra Rake with extensions. All told, it was close to $42K. Much more than I wanted to spend. But because I live in a rural setting with over 100-acres and an 1800' driveway, it was absolutely necessary to have a compact multi-purpose buddy. When I first began looking for a new machine, I almost mistakenly began looking at high-end zero-turns. But then realized that the $14K I was going to spend only allowed me to cut grass. Anyway, I'm rambling too much. BTW, I wrote a short 36-page booklet when I first bought the Ventrac. I want to take down that book and upload a much more updated one covering more of the attachments. Hope I answered your question Cameron.

Bob D.

LawnSite Member
I haven’t ran all attachments but the kubota gas out powers the kubota diesel by a lot. The guy who had the gas one I tried only went gas because the diesel was under powered comparatively. The price is exactly the same for the two kubota options and the liquid Kawasaki is 1000 less which is nothing when talking the price for this.

I understand where your coming from but these small neutered diesels are not keeping Up the with newer gassers “on paper” and in the field. I want the diesel but if it won’t handle the load why bother?
Hi Grass Bass,
I simply disagree. bought the 4500Y diesel option and had the dealer install an aftermarket turbo kit. (Turbokits.com) It will add close to $3K to the price. Mucho dinero. However, after 250-hours I would do the same thing again. Besides the overall longevity of a diesel (Dealers tell me they routinely see 10,000-12,000 hours on them), over time they will save you a ton of money because of their fuel efficiency. The 4500Y Owner's Manual states fuel consumption of 1.1-gals. per hour. The gas engine is roughly 2-gals hours per hour. I've been getting closer to .75 even while cutting grass and the high revs. I get about 8-hours per 6-gal tank. So your spending on average, 50% more on fuel per hour. The gas engine would need to be filled up almost twice over an 8-hour workday. ALSO, the turbo has increased the 24.8HP of the D902 engine to 36HP while the ft/lb of torque is close to 80 ft/lb. Simply put--it's an animal with good fuel efficiency that will make the power and increased attachment capabilities. Look, I appreciate the extra price that most people will shy away from. I went through the same thought process, but then figured this will probably be my "go-to" personal multi-purpose machine for the rest of my life--there really wasn't a good reason not to spend the extra money. I bought the necessary attachments. The dozer blade, the 72" mower deck, the bucket with grapple and the Terra Rake with extensions. All told, it was close to $42K. Much more than I wanted to spend. But because I live in a rural setting with over 100-acres and an 1800' driveway, it was absolutely necessary to have a compact multi-purpose buddy. When I first began looking for a new machine, I almost mistakenly began looking at high-end zero-turns. But then realized that the $14K I was going to spend only allowed me to cut grass. Anyway, I'm rambling too much. BTW, I wrote a short 36-page booklet when I first bought the Ventrac. I want to take down that book and upload a much more updated one covering more of the attachments.

Bob D.

LawnSite Member
leaning towards a ventrac because we can use it about 40 hours a week year round and a skid would be more like 20 hours a week 9 months out of the year.

My main concern is I heard it will overheat easy and living in Texas with temps above 100 throughout the summer, this would be a huge problem. Another concern is I don’t have a dealer close to me. Would a gas or diesel be better, I was leaning towards diesel but that’s the engine I saw would overheat.

Overall it will make us more money/hour if we don’t incur a lot of downtime. It will handle prep for sod/hydroseeding (some steep slopes too), trenching, mulch/stone install on existing and new development properties, brush mowing and finish mowing, spreading and spraying chemicals. Also stump grinding would be a big plus. It should average us about $100/hour plus an operator charge.

A skid or mini skid can be rented with any attachment if we needed something the ventrac can’t do.
That heating problem was on the older 4000 versions. It's been fixed since at least 2014.