new vs. used equipment

yardguy28

LawnSite Platinum Member
whats everyone's opinions on buying new vs. used equipment?

i see a lot of threads from people looking at different mowers and noticed a lot of them are people looking at units with hours on them.

personally i say go new almost all of the time. i prefer new machines because i will know what the machine has been through. how beaten up it gets and when something goes wrong with it i'll know it's not because a previous owner was hard on it.

i know a lot of the bigger companys beat the sheot out of there equipment and then sell them and smaller businesses/solo operations sometimes buy them up. well when something breaks it's most likely gonna be due to the fact that previous owners weren't very nice to there equipment. i personally don't want to run into that.

clean_cut

LawnSite Bronze Member
I try to buy used to save $$$, but you have to be careful who you buy from and you need to make sure that they didn't abuse their equipment.

coolluv

Banned
The choice to buy new or used comes down to capital on hand or lack of it. It doesn't lower your operating cost and your per hour cost will remain the same, or it should. Contrary to what most on here think. Your overhead is not lowered because you decide to purchased used. Used or new the per hour cost is the same.

But my equipment is paid for or I purchased used so my overhead is lower, so I can charge a lower price than you can. Yeah right! Believe that and you'll work yourself into the poorhouse.

Dave...

DT Lawn Care

LawnSite Senior Member
The choice to buy new or used comes down to capital on hand or lack of it. It doesn't lower your operating cost and your per hour cost will remain the same, or it should. Contrary to what most on here think. Your overhead is not lowered because you decide to purchased used. Used or new the per hour cost is the same.

But my equipment is paid for or I purchased used so my overhead is lower, so I can charge a lower price than you can. Yeah right! Believe that and you'll work yourself into the poorhouse.

Dave...

I disagree. I do agree about your view on charging less, that should not be done, the same rate should be charged. But when you get equipment for 1/2 the price with say 2-300 hours, I think you are saving bigtime. Definitely lowers your overhead and operating cost.

coolluv

Banned
I disagree. I do agree about your view on charging less, that should not be done, the same rate should be charged. But when you get equipment for 1/2 the price with say 2-300 hours, I think you are saving bigtime. Definitely lowers your overhead and operating cost.

Here's a good book you should go and buy. (How to price landscape and Irrigation projects) by James R. Huston

Page 59 says Quote: Even if you plan to buy used equipment, you should cost it out by using the "new" purchase price. The Cost Per Hour will generally be the same for new and used equipment. Another reason for using the new price is because useful life and repair and maintenance cost are easier to determine for new equipment. Using the new purchase price also automatically adjusts equipment rates for inflation and price increases. In essence, purchasing new versus old equipment is not a question of operating savings; its a question of capital. Can you afford to buy new equipment? Used equipment may be cheaper to purchase, but it is usually more expensive to maintain. Therfore, the Cost Per Hour will tend to remain the same. End Quote.

If more people on here read this book, it would change alot of minds and prevent alot of lowballing.

Dave...

J & D Greens

LawnSite Senior Member

Dave...

I totally agree with you about buying new equipment, if you have the capitol to do so. But I have not purchased a single piece of equipment new as of yet. I won't go into debt to do this on such a small scale (20 accounts). I look forward to the day when I'm not wasting my time searching for a deal and just go down and buy a couple of new 32" Scag and go into it all the way. The mowers will last for a very long time the way I take care of things. David

Alan0354

LawnSite Platinum Member
I prefer new equipments. THis is not like electronics where it really doesn't matter. People can damage the engine and other mechanical part just in a day.....like forgot to put oil in the mix!!!

It is like cars, I don't buy used car if I can help it. I want to know the history of the car and take good care of it. I keep my car for a long time and so far I average 200K miles each!!!

Bob_n_weave

LawnSite Senior Member
Im very leery of used equipment, I only buy new.

Top Forums