1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

    Dismiss Notice

New York License??

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by ELLC, Dec 7, 2003.

  1. ELLC

    ELLC LawnSite Member
    Messages: 13

    Do you need a license to spread fertilizers in upstate New York? I am only thinking of the scotts type fertilizers, differant stages, grub killer. I am not looking at liquid chemical applications. Thanks! Just wanted to add a little extra to the list of options I can offer.payup
  2. SodKing

    SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,641

    You need a license to apply pesticides whether in liquid or solid form. A pesticied is anything that controls, or mitigates a pest. Pests are not only insects, but also weeds, fungi, rodents. So Just because you may be able to buy the products at a hardware store doesn't mean you can legally apply them.
  3. hortboy

    hortboy LawnSite Member
    Messages: 170

    you need a license in NY for everything except fertilizer and soil amendments. Trust me, it's worth the investment and will pay for itself in 1/2 a season. Your license will cost you $350.00 plus manuals to study. Also keeping your license current w/ your recertification credits keeps you up on new products and practices. E-mail me if you need more info.
  4. Team Gopher

    Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -
    Messages: 4,041

  5. ELLC

    ELLC LawnSite Member
    Messages: 13

    Thanks guys!!:D
  6. french's lawn care

    french's lawn care LawnSite Member
    Messages: 40

    thanks for the help also !
  7. Whitey4

    Whitey4 LawnSite Silver Member
    Messages: 2,448

    You need a 30 hour course and then take a DEC test... total cost about $445. Now the cost to get registered as a peasticide company is $450 for 3 years. Figure close to $1000 to get legal for pesticides.

    You can do straight fert and lime without a certification. Anything else, grub, weed, fungus controls requires certification.

    I suggest you join your local LCO association.... they will offer a lot of help in finding a local course and help on test taking. Take a course.... the fail rate on the DEC test is around 50% in NYS. It is one of thre more difficult tests, but not as tough as Connecticut and Florida.

    I took my test in January.... feel free to PM me.

Share This Page