1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

    Dismiss Notice

new yorkers

Discussion in 'Network: North' started by ygim, Jan 26, 2010.

  1. ygim

    ygim LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 300

    How many guys from ny on here?
  2. Stevegotcrabgrass

    Stevegotcrabgrass LawnSite Member
    Messages: 248

    Long Island, New York. Eastern Suffolk County.
  3. cutting it close

    cutting it close LawnSite Member
    Messages: 21

    Hello, Suffolk County New York. Jsut starting out and need help feel free to messgae me or call 631-872-1286. Dont be shy Thanks Eric
  4. Stevegotcrabgrass

    Stevegotcrabgrass LawnSite Member
    Messages: 248

    Hey Eric....I don't think you are able to receive PM's Yet??? What kinda help you looking for. What advice do you need?
  5. cutting it close

    cutting it close LawnSite Member
    Messages: 21

    Anything that one is willing to give. Insurance info mower info, justt help to become legal. I reg with suffolk county as dba I wanna go inc. I was also told I do not need to reg with consumer affairs as long as I am doing weekly maintance which is what I intend to do this season. Any help/info is welcomed! Thaks in advance Eric
    Posted via Mobile Device
  6. Steiner

    Steiner LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 409

    Syracuse NY
  7. Stevegotcrabgrass

    Stevegotcrabgrass LawnSite Member
    Messages: 248

    Whoever gave you the information that you do not need to be licensed to do weekly maintenance is incorrect. You need to apply for a home improvement license. It will cost approximately $700 for the fees and testing fees. You will need insurance before you can become licensed and you will need a business bank account as you must pay the fees with a check showing your business name. You need to also provide them with a state sales tax ID # and a Federal EIN# Search around the suffolk county website and find the forms you need.

    As far as incorporation, that is up to you and your tax situation. My company is set up as an LLC. Filing fees of $200. Then you must publish with two newspapers for 6 consecutive weeks. you will receive and letter saying you published and you must file that with the state with 180 days along with another $50.

    There is a lot to being legit.

    Where are you located and where are your clients?
  8. cutting it close

    cutting it close LawnSite Member
    Messages: 21

    The ting about no license was consumer affairs that told me, and I plan on doing an s corp through state of delaware. Eastern suffolk county
    Posted via Mobile Device
  9. Stevegotcrabgrass

    Stevegotcrabgrass LawnSite Member
    Messages: 248

    [Added 7-8-1986 by L.L. No. 19-1986]
    HOME IMPROVEMENT CONTRACTING -- Excluding work in the electrical
    and plumbing fields as defined by § 275-2 of the Suffolk County Code, any repair,
    remodeling, alteration, conversion, modernization, improvement or addition to
    residential property, and includes but is not limited to alarm systems; carpentry;
    fencing; driveways; exterminating; flooring; heating, ventilation and airconditioning
    systems; masonry; roofing; siding; swimming pools; and
    waterproofing, as well as other improvements to structures or upon land which is
    part of residential property, including landscaping and arboriculture, which is used
    herein shall mean tree sprayers, tree pruners, tree stump removers and all other
    tree services; but shall not include the construction of a new home or work done
    by a contractor in compliance with a guaranty of completion on new residential
    property or the sale of goods by a seller who neither arranges to perform nor
    performs, directly or indirectly, any work or labor in connection with the
    installation of or application of the goods or improvements to residences owned
    by or controlled by any government subdivision. [Amended 5-10-1983 by L.L.
    No. 10-1983; 9-22-1987 by L.L. No. 38-1987; 10-23-1990 by L.L. No. 37-1990;
    12-15-1998 by L.L. No. 2-1999]

    That is an excerpt from the law. Maybe if you are only maintaining properties you do not need one....that would be news to me...But if you get caught putting down mulch you would be operating without a license or if you trim a bush??? Id really like to know more.....

    Eastern suffolk is big. Maybe more detail.

    S corp is fine if that is the best for your tax situation. I personally would not incorporate in another state simply for the extra tax paperwork you will have to do. Delaware is a state where a lot of Banks form corporations because of favorable laws.

    You def. need to be insured though and I would Double check with consumer affairs so you don't get fined.
  10. cutting it close

    cutting it close LawnSite Member
    Messages: 21

    I will calling as I write. Ronkonkoma, you?
    Posted via Mobile Device

Share This Page