• Thankful For Your Family…. Business?
    Landscaping businesses are often family endeavors. While this can combine the best of both worlds (personal and professional), it isn’t always smooth sailing. Click here to read more.

New Z Spray Trailer

Maple Wood

LawnSite Senior Member
I finally have my new z spray trailer done (well mostly).
Here are some pics. I plan to take some more in the morning.
7 x 16 Sharp MFG Trailer
5K axles
Wide side door for pallets
Herculiner floor and up the walls 18"
305 gallon water tank
20 fresh water tank with 12 volt pump
20 GPM 12 volt main pump
Deep cycle battery connected to power wire on truck
3 gallon mix tank with 3way induction valve
Quick connect couplers on Z spray and main hose

shop005w.jpg

shop006w.jpg

shop007w.jpg

grassman177

LawnSite Fanatic
that is very nice, is that blue thing on the zmax part of the quick connect?

SeedPro

LawnSite Bronze Member
Nice. Now go to JDL and get a prolocker to lock one front caster wheel down. Makes life easy, is DOT certified and the thing wont move.

trust me on this.....trying to tie down a Zspray in an enclosed trailer is not easy and can be time consuming.

Thats an awfully large water tank in that trailer. Tongue weight is going to be an issue for you if you fill that thing.

I'd have put the tank in the truck, and use the front of the trailer for dry storage.

OP
Maple Wood

Maple Wood

LawnSite Senior Member
Blue thing on the z spray is 1 1/4 pex line jerry rigged for a spray wand holder. I will take some pics of the quick connect tomorrow.

djagusch

LawnSite Platinum Member
Looks like a nice set up but.....

Not worried about GVWR but how it is loaded on the trailer. 2713lbs (325gal x 8.35lb/gal) of water and a 2000lb (40bags x 50lbs) pallet of fert in front of the axles (guessing it is in front because side door needs to be in front of wheel well). I don't know the weight of a Z spray maybe 800 lbs empty max on or behind the rear axle.

This will be a very heavy tongue weight trailer that will pull very poorly at 55mph or more. The front end of the truck will be very light and the trailer will sway a bunch.

Your not going to overload your front axle but the tongue weight is probably higher than what the hitch is rated (some are as low as 600lbs and your going to be 1200lbs or possibly more).

OP
Maple Wood

Maple Wood

LawnSite Senior Member
Good question. Fully loaded the tank weight is 2500 LBS. The Z is loaded clear to the back within 1 in of the door when shut. The trailer was beefed up to take a fair amount of tongue weight and my truck has air bags to help out. I will shift some more weight to the back with the fert bags.

SeedPro

LawnSite Bronze Member
And that fill apron looks awfully clean. :D Drag it through the parking lot a few times if you don't actually use it regularly. These ag inspectors aren't dummies.

:)

Just teasin....

SeedPro

LawnSite Bronze Member
Good question. Fully loaded the tank weight is 2500 LBS. The Z is loaded clear to the back within 1 in of the door when shut. The trailer was beefed up to take a fair amount of tongue weight and my truck has air bags to help out. I will shift some more weight to the back with the fert bags.
If you put fert at the back....how will you get the Zspray out of the trailer? I assume you mean on the sides but that trailers not very wide and the bags stacked will fall constantly....or youll hit them with your wheels and break them and have leaking bags. I usually do this with my trailer but it's 8 feet wide. I do it for the same reason you will....weight distribution.....but I can only fit 300 pounds there.

I have a 8 x 19 foot trailer and I still have space issues.

Good call on the wide side doors though for pallet installs. I so wished I'd of done that.

OP
Maple Wood

Maple Wood

LawnSite Senior Member
The hitch is forged so it will take a fair amount of tongue weight. My experience has been that lack of tongue weight causes the trailer to swing back and for.
The fert is load to the front of the axles but currently shifted by hand to be above the axles. I have a set of heavy slides scoped out to add in the future. Then I will come in the side door with the pallet and then slide it over the axle once it is in the trailer.

SeedPro

LawnSite Bronze Member
The hitch is forged so it will take a fair amount of tongue weight. My experience has been that lack of tongue weight causes the trailer to swing back and for.
The fert is load to the front of the axles but currently shifted by hand to be above the axles. I have a set of heavy slides scoped out to add in the future. Then I will come in the side door with the pallet and then slide it over the axle once it is in the trailer.
Having the pallet a bit in front of the 5K axels is ok....youre fine there. The z unit will help offset that. And I doubt you will ever have to fill that front tank all the way. I do a fair amount in a day and I swear I have never used more than 3 - 50 gallon Z loads. That would be the thing loaded at the start of the day and 100 gallons more.

I don't know how much you plan to do in a day but if you use 350 gallons through a zspray in one day....good for you.

:)