Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks:

I have a new ZD18F with the 54" deck and my cut doesn't seem to be very efficient. I do a couple of passes and I notice a strip of grass blades weren't cut. I've read some other posts in here about Kubota's stamped decks but this just doesn't seem right. It's especially bad when I'm mowing sideways on a hill. I take it the deck isn't designed to more or less float over the terrain? I think I have my anti-scalp wheels set correctly but not sure.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance. :help:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,375 Posts
1. Where is the strip of grass being left?

2. Do you have your anti-scalp wheels 3/4" off the ground on a flat surface?

3. Answer #1 first and more ?'s can be answered.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
LwnmwrMan22 said:
1. Where is the strip of grass being left?

2. Do you have your anti-scalp wheels 3/4" off the ground on a flat surface?

3. Answer #1 first and more ?'s can be answered.
Not sure where the strip is being left. I'll have to pay closer attention. It's definitely more pronounced when cutting sideways on hills. But does it on flat ground too. I have to add that my lawn is brand new (was a farm hay field) and is a little bumpy. That's why I was wondering about the 54" deck's ability to more or less float up and down to compensate.

I'll get back to you on the strip and the height of the anti-scalp wheels. thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
743 Posts
I've have been noticing this with alot of Kubota's lately.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
272 Posts
.... I suspect strongly that your anti-scalp wheels are NOT set properly. At YOUR cut setting the wheels should be no more than 3/4" off the ground, flat level ground, front and back anti-scalp wheels :).

Stinger44 said:
Hi folks:

I have a new ZD18F with the 54" deck and my cut doesn't seem to be very efficient. I do a couple of passes and I notice a strip of grass blades weren't cut. I've read some other posts in here about Kubota's stamped decks but this just doesn't seem right. It's especially bad when I'm mowing sideways on a hill. I take it the deck isn't designed to more or less float over the terrain? I think I have my anti-scalp wheels set correctly but not sure.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance. :help:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
iluvscag said:
I've have been noticing this with alot of Kubota's lately.
Considering how much I paid for mine, that's not what I want to hear. Can you be more specific on why you feel this way or where you got that info? I'm really really hoping fixing this problem is as simple as an adjustment to the deck or something.
Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Grass Man said:
.... I suspect strongly that your anti-scalp wheels are NOT set properly. At YOUR cut setting the wheels should be no more than 3/4" off the ground, flat level ground, front and back anti-scalp wheels :).
Thanks, I'll definitely look at my wheels.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
230 Posts
Stinger 44,

One thing you mentioned caught my attention - that your lawn is new.

I have found that mowers (my Bobcat, Lazers etc), don't get every blade of grass when the lawn is very thin. A thick(er) lawn and everything cuts really nice. It seems to me that when the grass is thin the mower pushes some over without cutting it. When the grass is thick, the multitude of grass blades help hold each other up and allow the mower blades to get them.

Could the new lawn be all or part of the problem?

deej
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
DEEJ said:
Stinger 44,

One thing you mentioned caught my attention - that your lawn is new.

I have found that mowers (my Bobcat, Lazers etc), don't get every blade of grass when the lawn is very thin. A thick(er) lawn and everything cuts really nice. It seems to me that when the grass is thin the mower pushes some over without cutting it. When the grass is thick, the multitude of grass blades help hold each other up and allow the mower blades to get them.

Could the new lawn be all or part of the problem?

deej
That's an interesting point deej. The grass is mostly crabgrass/weeds and more sparse than average lawns. I'm trying to get the contracter to reseed also. Again, my lawn used to be a hay field, not to mention how bumpy it is. I'll keep an eye on things and see if I notice anything obvious. Thanks folks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,375 Posts
If that's the case, I'd say Deej hit the nail on the head.

My Kubota doesn't cut thinner grass the greatest, but neither did my Ferris, or my Toro.

Weeds, well that's what chemicals are for, not mower decks designed to cut grass.

Anyways, if it really bumpy, I probably don't have to tell you to slow down.

If you've got a real bad problem, you might either have to get someone to spray the weeds (which I would do regardless) or double cut it in either a 90 degree cross pattern, or just mow, then drive right back on the same stripe.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,656 Posts
The speed up kit for the blades will help. I put the gear set on my ZD21. It gives it more airlift on the grass. The gear kit is only about $60 and you can install it yourself in about an hour or so.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
specialtylc said:
The speed up kit for the blades will help. I put the gear set on my ZD21. It gives it more airlift on the grass. The gear kit is only about $60 and you can install it yourself in about an hour or so.
What is the "speed up kit"? I've never heard of that. I don't recall seeing that as an accessory for Kubota mowers.
Thanks.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top