1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

New ZTR Advice

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by scott6336, Aug 16, 2004.

1. scott6336

scott6336 LawnSite Member

Just bought a house with a big jump in lawn size. New home has 10.5 acres of St. Augustine grass but all flat and a few trees, so I am considering a ZTR. Time is an issue for me. Trying to judge how much tractor I need to get this done in a reasonable amount of time (3 hours too optimistic?). Have a good Toro/Exmark dealer in town and a decent John Deere/Gravely dealer w/in 30 minutes of home. Would consider prices up to near $10,000...any ideas on equipment? Thanks.

2. jaybird

jaybird LawnSite Senior Member

we have had good luck with scag.

3. rander

rander LawnSite Member

There are a number of good brands available. I think eXmark is one of, if not, the best. I've been using an eXmark for over ten years and have had excellent service from the equipment. They're built like a tank, especially the decks and cut excellently. The dealers do a pretty good job. Like any other good equipment, maintainence is the key to good performance and longevity. It's got over 3000 hours on it. For the first 3 years I used it to cut about 10 acres of Bahia lawn and horse training arenas. For the past seven years have cut about 5 acres of lawn regularly.

Rander

4. scott6336

scott6336 LawnSite Member

Rander--What size deck and how long did it take to mow the 10 acres? Thanks

5. rander

rander LawnSite Member

Scott336;

It is a 52" deck with a 20 hp Kohler engine. It took about 5 to 6 hours to cut it but about half of the area was cut up in small areas and involved cutting around a lot of fences, a barn lot and odd corners. That time was about half what it took to cut it with a 48" snapper rider or a lawn tractor. The big difference was the eXmark ZTR was so much more manuverable and faster on the straight away.

Rander

6. robertbick

robertbick LawnSite Member

After much research I also bought an Exmark Lazer Z. I got the 27HP 60" deck to cut about 3 1/2 acres of grass. I get it done in about 90 minutes, and thats with laying down some nice diagonal stripes in the front lawn. The Exmark does a great job. I would recommend you get the 72" deck for your 10 acres. I think you could cut it under 3 hours with a 72" deck. You could get one for under 10 grand.