New ZTR Shopping...

NativeSun

LawnSite Member
I'm in the market for a new ZTR for my 1 acre lot (half St. Aug, half tough Bahia).

Local dealers sell Toro, Gravely, Bad Boy, Exmark (too $$$), and of course have HD, Lowes, Tractor Supply, Rural King...would love to go to a dealer (and might try to negotiate to make it happen) but right now seems like big boxes have better selection and pricing. Go figure.

How much does blade speed matter? Seems like one spec that is different from brand to brand.

Considering:
Ariens Ikon X 52", Kawasaki FR691V (or Kohler 7000), EZT trans, 635lbs, 17,000rpm.
Gravely ZTX (exact same beast as above, from what I can tell, but from dealer for $100 more).
Hustler Raptor 52", Kawasaki FR691V, ZT2200 trans, 503lbs, 16,600rpm.
Toro Timecutter mx5000 50", Kohler 7000 Pro, ZT2100 trans, 612lbs, 18,330rpm.

Seems like Hustler is a little light? Toro seems like faster blade speed? Any thoughts on these?

For what it's worth, my current ride (out of commission with a bad transaxle) is an Ariens Zoom Max 48 with Kawasaki FR691 and ZT3100s. It has bigger tires than all of my current options, but I bought it used and an equivalent set up is not something I am interested in spending on.

Mumblingboutmowers

LawnSite Senior Member
I agree with CorkyE, buy from a dealer if you can do so without overpaying too much. Figure anything from a Big Box Store will come with a useless warranty.

OP
N

NativeSun

LawnSite Member
Are these not warrantied by the manufacturer? I am leaning towards buying a gravely at a dealer anyway, just not sure yet.

Also want to add, looks like the creative marketers almost got me. Appears that the ZT2100 / ZT2200 / EZT are all the same lower-end transmission. Then again, if it wouldn't cost me a grand for the part for my ZT3100, I might not be mower shopping.

Mumblingboutmowers

LawnSite Senior Member
Are these not warrantied by the manufacturer? I am leaning towards buying a gravely at a dealer anyway, just not sure yet.

Also want to add, looks like the creative marketers almost got me. Appears that the ZT2100 / ZT2200 / EZT are all the same lower-end transmission. Then again, if it wouldn't cost me a grand for the part for my ZT3100, I might not be mower shopping.
They do have a warranty, but the problem is getting the work done. Local dealers usually won't do warranty work for the big box stores (even though they are supposed to). One time I had a warranty issue for a Husqvarna tractor I bought at Lowes. All I needed was a deck lift rod that broke. $15 part. Instead of just giving me the part, they wanted to load it on a tractor trailer to haul out of state to do the warranty work. They expected it to take 2 or 3 weeks (so most likely, much longer than that). Of course I just bought the part myself since it wasn't much.

JP in KC

LawnSite Member
The Raptor SD is a bit heavier than the Raptor, with a ZT2800. I have 3 of them, two 60s at our farm an hour away and a 54 at our house, and they've all been excellent machines. The 60 is about $4400, I think, and they're probably still offering 0 percent for 42 months.

ggb6259

LawnSite Senior Member
Move up to Ikon XL, also start scanning FB market place as you will start to see a bunch of low hour used ones in the very near future.... Demo's are getting sold now and close outs are in process.

Last edited:

AlohaMowing

LawnSite Senior Member
Are these not warrantied by the manufacturer?
While the machines (and tools) sold by the box stores do come with manufacturers' warranties, the manufacturers will have contracts with independant repair shops, and you would need to take it to the approved repairman for warranty work. Some of those independant shops are highly skilled, some less so, and there may be none in your local area. If you go to the website of the manufacturer you are considering, among the warranty information you may be able to find the authorized repair shop for your area.

Mumblingboutmowers

LawnSite Senior Member
While the machines (and tools) sold by the box stores do come with manufacturers' warranties, the manufacturers will have contracts with independant repair shops, and you would need to take it to the approved repairman for warranty work. Some of those independant shops are highly skilled, some less so, and there may be none in your local area. If you go to the website of the manufacturer you are considering, among the warranty information you may be able to find the authorized repair shop for your area.
Then call that authorized repair shop to see if they do service work if you bought it at the big box store. Most won't or will take forever to do so because your job will stay at the bottom of priorities.