1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

newb here to learn about commercial mowers

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by wood181, May 3, 2009.

1. wood181

wood181 LawnSite Member

I am not in business, but I am here to learn about light commercial grade mowers, specifically zero turn.

I have about 5 acres of my own, and may end up mowing for a neighbor or two.

I am not really interested in the new crop of consumer grade offerings, but I cant really bust the bank either. I am probably looking to spend about 7,000 to 7,500 on something with a 60 inch deck.

Of course, the main thing is to get my 5 acres of 1/2 wide open grass, and the other half has the house, shed, garden, and about 60 to 70 trees and other items I need to go around, done as quick as possible. It is all flat except for the ditches in the front.

I have started some research, and I have to probably base my decision on what dealer is close by, about 30 miles or less, which limits my choices a little.

In order of distance from my house, as far as I know anyway, there may be more out there. Zip Code is 54812.

John Deere
    Cub Cadet Commercial
    Hustler
    Exmark
    Kubota
    Scag

So here I go, somewhere I have never been, wish me luck!

Oh yeah, and if you can tell me how to get started learning about these things I could use the help!

Wood

2. DLAWNS

DLAWNS LawnSite Fanatic

Welcome to the site and my personal favorite out of that list that you mentioned is the Exmark. I have two Exmarks and love them. I've used a bunch of Exmark Lasers in the past and they are great mowers. If there are any questions that I can help you with let me know.

3. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

I would stay away from the Cub cadet commercial. Ever since MTD took over CC, I wouldn't touch them with a ten foot pole.