• Landscape Lighting Design: Bright Ideas
    With outdoor spaces more popular than ever, lighting these landscapes may be your next opportunity. Click here to learn more.

newbie advice. gas leak

BeeCreekLawns

LawnSite Member
I have a 21" Toro 20036 Personal Pace Super Recycler. I got this used and when I put gas in it, the gas slowly drips from under tank. When I push the primer bulb it just feels like air. Won't start. I am a newbie and trying to learn this stuff so please anything will help. I tried googling but couldn't really find an answer. I am thinking it isn't a cracked gas tank because it would still start if it was, right. could it be the fuel filter? It worked at the end of last season without leaks. I need to learn, please help. :hammerhead:

DT Lawn Care

LawnSite Senior Member
I have had two of these mowers, 6.5 hp Briggs right? Dripping from UNDER the tank could imply bad/cracked gasline. Dripping from ON the tank would imply a cracked or a hole in the gas tank. This can be fixed easily with JB Weld. But yes, the mower should still fire up. Remove the air filter and spray a shot of starting fluid or carb cleaner in, the pull the rope, it SHOULD at least give you some signs of firing. If not, you will have to go into the carburetor and check it out. These mowers are not hard to work on, it was probably the best Personal Pace model that they have ever made. Please post results, and good luck.

OP
B

BeeCreekLawns

LawnSite Member
damn, I love this site. Don't have carb cleaner. I will get some tomorrow. Anything else you could offer about this machine would be great. I know basically nothing about maintenance, but I am trying to learn. thanks.

OP
B

BeeCreekLawns

LawnSite Member
I don't have an owners manual, just checking to see what kind of oil you would recommend for changing on this. There should be a drain on the bottom right?

OP
B

BeeCreekLawns

LawnSite Member
Thank you very much. Now I know this is a 2002 Model and I have printed all part diagrams to start the learning process. Atleast now I should know what people are talking about when they refer to something! I will update when I get the carb cleaner today.

dutch1

LawnSite Silver Member
Fuel tanks on the Briggs Quantam engines seemed to be susceptible to seam seal leaks--that is where the two halves of the tank were joined. I would have no objection to anyone repairing their own tank and I have done it myself. On the other hand, I worked in a shop envoirnment for 7 years and any mower that came in with a leaking tank either was replaced or service was rejected due to liability issues. You may want to check with a dealer to determine if the tank can be replaced under warranty. Manufacturers are often willing to replace faulty tanks to avoid lawsuits.

Dutch

dutch1

LawnSite Silver Member
Yes, that could be the fly in the soup. I just scanned your original post and missed the fact that you picked it up used. Most likely the dealer will ask for proof of purchase but I have seen stranger things happen.

Dutch

OP
B

BeeCreekLawns

LawnSite Member
Okay, Having fun learning here. When I went to get the carb cleaner, the guy told me to first check the spark plug. Sorry guys, newbie 101, it looked bad so I went over with a wire brush and it fired right up. Some black smoke, but using my carb cleaner got rid of that. So, still had the gas dripping, didn't even put much in yesterday and it was still dripping. Took the top cover off and wiped the wet part of tank. Noticed when I pushed primer bulb the seam in gas tank ( you nailed it ) was where the leak was. I guess I will be getting the Jb weld or should I install new tank??

I cannot find the fuel filter. Thought it might be the silver cylinder thing (Bowl-float??)between the primer bulb and gas tank, but I took that off and guessing bowl float according to diagram. Don't see anything in diagrams about the fuel filter.

I also bought some oil for my first oil change. This turned out to be a two hour adventure with no success. I see on diagram, "plug-drain, oil", but I must be stupid. Took blade off for better view. Took the belt protector bracket thing off for even better view. Unscrewed many wrong ones, mounting bolts I guess. There is one suspicious bolt, a circle with a square in middle. I don't have a tool to even try that one. Let me guess, that's it. Can someone please help? I guessed I would need about 2 quarts to refill, anyone. Newbie, newbie. Not having much success, but I am having fun learning. I have pics but it won't let me put them on here for some reason.