Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just started the biz June 3rd of this year. I love it. Shoulda dunit sooner! I am an X corporate white collar junkie that got tired of being subjected to another's stupidity.

Bought the trailer used from a kid that used it to move....once. Bought the Metro HP from a guy in Savannah that 'thought' he wanted to do it but couldn't stand the heat. Less than 200 hours and paid 1100.00. All the sticks are Tanaka brand equipment and I am happy with them (9 regular service accounts of which 4 are on annual contract). I am really big on contracts. Good for customers that want their yards to look good year round.......good for me$.

Mounting the two stroke stuff was a dilemma. I wanted it up high enough to allow for a Z when I grow up but not so high as to fatique me a lot when it's late in the afternoon after a long day. There are no straps on any of the pieces except the top of the blower. By the way the mount in front of the blower is for a cooler. For the trimmer and the edger all you do is grab, twist, and lift it out. I made the mounts that way specifically so I didn't have to 'release' anything to get them out quick.

There's an Exmark grass catcher and attachement in the trailer but I never use it. The mower had the mulching kit on it when I got it and I like it. I think it may be slowing me down a little though. I might be able to go faster if I discharge.

Whaddayathink? Suggestions are welcome.....and 'beerzabein' served!

Wooooohoooooooo!

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Love it!.....That thing can go pretty fast.....got the bigger tires than the Metro does.....and the floating deck..albeit on a 36 it's more of a convenience than anything.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Tread

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not sure on the year of the mower.......but it's in wonderful shape. Still has ALL the tags on the frame and engine......just haven't read them except to record the serial number for insurance purposes.

Darn tootin I'm licensed. I lucky enough to have kept my tax returns from way back. In Florida you have to prove that you have worked in the business under a licensed professional for 3 years before your license can be issued. When I got out of the Navy I was hired on by a landscaping company in South Florida. The local Agricultural extension here offers courses too. All in all......good stuff. Hate that sprayer though. A new one will have to wait for now.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Nice set up.

I started in late april of this year. You have it good for being new in the business. I've been pulling my equipment on a 5x10 trailer behind my 94 Ford Taurus "The Beast" . (You got to start somewhere)

Plan on getting a work truck next season.

P&P LawnCare*LandScape.

·
Banned
1,869 Posts
May the grass clippings always be at your back.

Best of luck to you and remember; quality work speaks for itself.

~Nest

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I was lucky because I received a nice severance from the Internet company I was working for. Allowed me to pick up the equipment you see in the trailer, buy 3 months worth of advertising in a local direct mailer, and repair a few things on the Dodge.

If I could do anything different on startup.......it would be to start earlier. I did not receive the response I would have like to receive for both June and July. I suspect that residentials start becoming scarce in ealry May around here.

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
Very nice setup. Don't be surprised if you change it around a time or two as you look for the easiest and most efficient way to arranges things.
FWIW, you might to smooth those sharp corners on your shelving/hold downs. After a hot day or while trying to rush you may hit them…. Ouch!
Here’s how I mounted some of my stuff, which you may want to try, if you have room. Pic attached.
:D

The wood is a 2x4 and the clamps are from HomeDepot. The 2x4 spaces the machine far enough away from the side so they don't hit.

Wood Flooring Floor Hardwood Musical instrument

·
Registered
833 Posts
Originally posted by sniggly
Hate that sprayer though. A new one will have to wait for now.
Since you paid and went through the effort of getting licensed, it is more effective if you promote the license and spraying.
AND get an effective sprayer, even a better backpack sprayer like a Solo for less than $100 would be helpful and make spraying easier. Get 2 of em, one selective, one general for your spot spraying.

It's kinda like either - or get off the throne.

If a $200 expense is not in the cards, you are in T-r-o-u-b-l-e.

Nice trailer set-up. Where's the tool box, first aid kit, cones, blades, trash can, chemicals for the sprayer, hand tools, extra supplies, and folding lawn chair for when it's all done? :) Let me guess... Hidden and inconveniently located away in the truck bed box?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Nice trailer set-up. Where's the tool box, first aid kit, cones, blades, trash can, chemicals for the sprayer, hand tools, extra supplies, and folding lawn chair for when it's all done? :) Let me guess... Hidden and inconveniently located away in the truck bed box?
First aid kit is in the truck. As to the trash can I clean the trailer out just about every day. If you are referring to yard debris I have Home Depot yard bags that are left for city pickup at the client's property (unless client wants it carried away which makes a 20.00 dollar charge suddenly appear and the city picks it up from my house for free).

Currently am not keeping a lot of chemical on hand becuase I haven't really been concentrating on building that portion of the business. I know it's a money maker though.

Tools in the truck box yes.....and inconenient....but I didn't want to clutter the trailer too much as I might change it in the future.

The wood is a 2x4 and the clamps are from HomeDepot. The 2x4 spaces the machine far enough away from the side so they don't hit.
I am a woodworker so I am familiar with those clamps. Can you just lean down on them to release the tool (with both hands simultaneously)? Or do you have to release one end at a time? My mind's eye is trying to picture how you get them off the wall.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.