1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

    Dismiss Notice

Newbie insurance questions

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by LawnMan883, Nov 29, 2006.

  1. LawnMan883

    LawnMan883 LawnSite Member
    Messages: 85

    in the past i have been cutting lawns just off the cuff for neighbors and friends, but next year I want to make it official. Apperantly if i do not plan on applying fertilizer I do not need to be state lisenced, so the only other thing i need is insurance, if i am not mistaken? Is it wise to insure my tow vehicle under my business insurance or personal insurance? The vehicle i have that I tow with is a 2001 Explorer V8 AWD. It was my daily driver from 2002-2005, but now i bought a cheap economy car to get to and from my fulltime retail (ugh) job. I get a multi-vehicle discount haveing the explorer on my personal insurance, but I didn;t know what the best way was to do it. Also i am not familiar with how to insure the business. Is most of the concern liability or the value of the equipment too? Currently my equipment list includes a 2003 model year 16x7 tandem landscape trailer, a 1996 Deere 345 rider witha 54" deck, a snowblower attachment, tow behind aerator, roller, spreader, vaccuum system, and a rototiller attachment. In addition to that I have a Honda string trimmer and an MTD leaf grinder/limb chipper. All of the equipment is in good mechanical shape and is reliable. I do have a lockbox on my trailer that I keep my trimmer in and my other supplies, and i keep the other equipment in my garage when not in use to prevent theft or weatehr damage.
    I will be running/operating the business and equipment on my own, but want to be sufficiently covered should something come up.
    I am not sure what to expect for insurance rates for this type of setup, but if anyone has any pointers or suggestions, please let me know!
  2. Allure

    Allure LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 426

    my accountant recommended keeping my vehicle on my personal policy until i go full time. You should look in to liability insurance as well. who ever you chose for that should be able to offer you coverage for your other equipment at a reasonable price. I'm in the most expensive insurance state in the country so i won't go into prices.
  3. daveintoledo

    daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member
    Messages: 2,587

    in ohio, you have to have commercial plates for a vehicle used for a business, and proof of insurance to get the plates, and the insurance company charges more for commercial vehicles..

    dont be cheap on this one.. fines ge4t pretty steep..

    on a side note, just get your license for spraying weed control... what is the sence in fertilizing the weeds....
  4. LawnMan883

    LawnMan883 LawnSite Member
    Messages: 85

    I don;t know if michigan has the same policy on the plates, but i will check that too.

    If i just don;t offer even fertilization am I screwing myself, or is that something thats pretty high in terms of liability? i just would be worried about burning up someone's lawn if i screwed up.

Share This Page