1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, in the Franchising forum.

    Dismiss Notice

Newbie...please be nice, question about equipment.

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by GravyTrain, Oct 29, 2010.

  1. GravyTrain

    GravyTrain LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 375

    Not licensed right now. don't apply anything, no roundup, no fert, nothing. Want to get certified and am working on that now. before i cough up the money to get the license, want to figure out what kind of materials and equipment i'll be needing to get.

    completely new to the game. only applied granules to my own yard a few years ago. have a cheap push spreader and a cheap backpack with the manual handle to provide pressure. I know this won't cut it.

    I've got a 1500 96 gmc sierra and two trailers, both of which are used for lawn care maintenance (mowing, light landscaping). was hoping to get into the game on the low end of prices and build up over time like i did with the mowers and handhelds.

    I just read that going the granular route instead of liquid is easier to start out, would most of you agree? what kind of equipment is suggested, looking for company names and even specific models if possible.

    Also, I'm assuming that the stuff sold at the big box stores is not what you guys are using, so my question is where do you get your stuff.

    Lastly, I know I'm new. I'm sure these questions have been asked before, i couldn't find any good threads to answer my question. I want to learn the business before I get into it and I would love to work for another company to get a better understanding, but in my area, that's not a possibility.

    Any information you guys can offer would be very appreciated. Ric in another thread has provided some great resources on learning how to treat the grass without killing it...i'm working through that now.
  2. GravyTrain

    GravyTrain LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 375

    Probably looking for too much information, understood. I'm just going to bump this once, if I get no responses, no worries, I'll just move on and try elsewhere.
  3. Ric

    Ric LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 11,969

    Gravy Train

    I believe the reason you are not getting any response is you are asking tooooo many questions in one post.

    May I suggest you contact your local County Extension Agent or Master Gardener Program. These people can be either very helpful or Fools. In my case my County Extension office is full of fools(see below). But the county South of me is extremely good with tons of helpful material. So Look around at your surrounding counties also. Bigger counties might have bigger budgets.

    The thing about your County Extension office is, They make no money from selling you crap. They are tied into your Land Grant University and can recommend all kinds of study material from that university as well as other universities. The Extension agent should know the soil & pest pressure and should get you off to a good start. However it will take several years to get good.

    In other threads we talked about getting Degrees & Certifications etc. But the truth is it is the education that counts not the sheep skin. Take advantage of the education your state offers for free or at very low cost to you.
  4. cgaengineer

    cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 15,777

    I think you will find granular weed control products to be hit or miss, not pre-emergents, but broad leaf control. At a minimum you will need a calibrated backpack sprayer, commercial spreader with calibration capability, and a cabinet full of chemicals. I would also suggest a couple Lesco hand sprayers marked for different chemicals for spot spraying, insecticides or any other chemical.

    Other useful tools:

    Skid Sprayer
    Ride on Sprayer/spreader
    Probe Thermometer
    Education, reading...reading and more reading.
  5. GravyTrain

    GravyTrain LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 375

    Thanks for the reply. I figured my wide range of questions is turning people off. I'll probably start a new thread asking about equipment as that is my first concern. As you mentioned, there are several avenues for education, I'll start that route to get more information about the local environment and recommendations.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  6. cgaengineer

    cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 15,777

    Oh, and most box stores do not sell what you need. You need to find a local chemical supplier like Lesco/John Deere Landscapes.
  7. Triple D

    Triple D LawnSite Member
    Messages: 78

    Gravy Train,

    Lets start with chemicals, you have a very good chemical supplier just north of you in Searcy. Agri Turf (Ron Fisher) sorry I don't have the phone number with me. That would be a great place to start for a supplier.

    Good luck with your extension service providing any education courses. But the Arkansas Turfgrass Assoc. is having a trade show and re-certification class in Hot Springs in Jan. You will be able to pick up some idea's and education material. The Plant Board is very active in this show. Also there will be a lot of chemical suppliers and equipment suppliers there.

    And if you would like to get some experience you can always come help pull a hose with my company.

    But before I did anything I would get your licenses. And in Arkansas the test is not a joke.
  8. ted putnam

    ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member
    Messages: 4,671

    or Lesco is in Maumelle. The Turfgrass show will be at the Hot Springs convention center Jan 19-20. Call the State Plant Board to find out when the test is given. It used to be the first Tuesday of each month. I've had my Commercial Applicators license for about 15 yrs now so that may have changed. If you contact them, they will send you a packet of study materials alongwith a schedule of testing. Good Luck
  9. GravyTrain

    GravyTrain LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 375

    I've actually already been in contact with them and have the testing materials and will be taking the test December 13th (I think that's the date, I'll have to verify that). I do have a quick question for anyone (especially Arkansas locals). I had planned on getting the "Class 5 & 9B Weed Control "for this upcoming year, getting my hand dirty and then working for the "Class 4 & 9 Ornamental Tree & Turf" next year. Here is a link to more information http://plantboard.arkansas.gov/PlantIndustry/Pages/StructuralPestControl.aspx

    Not to pat myself on the back, but I was valedictorian high school class, partially completed my master's degree (computer science) with a 3.8+ GPA. I'm not new to learning. Would you suggest I just bite the bullet and get the higher certification? or do I need the higher cert for the typical fert & squirt as I've heard it referred to?
  10. cgaengineer

    cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 15,777

    Get both certs. You may need to apply chems to ornamentals.

    Here in GA T&O is one cert...cat 24
    Posted via Mobile Device

Share This Page