Newbie ztr help

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mashmanmyers, Jul 12, 2018.

1. Mashmanmyers

Mashmanmyers LawnSite Member

I’m new to the site and not sure I’m posting in the write area. Looking for some opinions from more experienced people. I’m looking at getting a new ztr I’ve narrowed it down to 2 mowers I have have the option of either getting a brand new 2018 gravely zt x 52” with 24hp Kohler for $3,000 out the door 3yr warranty. Without a bagger or mulch kit. Or a used Scag freedom z 48 with 19hp kaw 186hrs very well maintained not sure of year plus a bagger and mulching blades for $2,800. I mow a large yard of mixed fescue. I bag in spring and fall other than that I mulch it’s all flat area. I may pick up a few yards for some extra cash in the future. What you guys think?

2. watatrp

watatrp LawnSite Senior Member

I think that most will agree that a good dealer service relationship is the biggest factor in deciding which one to buy. When your equipment is down and needs repair it's important to have someone that can get it in and get it fixed.

Mashmanmyers and 13Razorbackfan like this.
  3. Mashmanmyers

Mashmanmyers LawnSite Member

The dealer on the gravely is 2hr drive away, there is a Scag dealer an hour drive away from where I live. I’m just a home owner so I know good dealer service is a good thing, but maybe not as important as if I had a business to run. I’m still torn between the the 2, I do appreciate your input thanks

4. watatrp

watatrp LawnSite Senior Member

Well if that's the case, go with the Scag. I've owned many Scags in the past. In my opinion, they are built like tanks. They've been around for a long time so parts are easy to get online. I've met the man that invented them and was impressed.

Mashmanmyers likes this.
  5. Mumblingboutmowers

Mumblingboutmowers LawnSite Senior Member

Brand new vs. Used. Bigger Engine vs. Smaller Engine. 52 in cut vs 48 in cut. 3 yr warranty vs. No warranty. For a $200 difference I would definitely take the new machine. A bagger would not be that important to me to choose otherwise.

Mashmanmyers likes this.
  6. Hawkshot99

Hawkshot99 LawnSite Bronze Member

Your talking commercial scags, he us talking about the freedom so they share the paint job...

I would not want to be bagging with a 19hp mower.

JimsLocalLawn likes this.