Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by boxsky, Apr 1, 2006.

  1. boxsky

    boxsky LawnSite Member
    Messages: 178

    Decided to start my own lawn care company. Got a estimate from another LCS person in area and man he is dirt cheap 23 for 17000 sq ft plus trim and blow. I refuse to move my truck for that. But now I'm competing against him.

    I will stick to my guns and my profit margin. Question is what have others done when it comes to a guy who is giving his services away? The houses in my area range from 250 to 800+ but everyine is trying to save a buck.
  2. mcwlandscaping

    mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member
    Messages: 3,163

    see where his clients are, chances are, hell be out of biz fast as he wont be making any money, and when this happens, you make yourself known to those people. just my .02 welcome to LS!!
  3. firefightergw

    firefightergw LawnSite Gold Member
    from Texas
    Messages: 3,340

    You can't always believe what a prospect or customer is telling you. They may be saying that to see how much further you will come down. But then again, the guy may be doing it for that. You and I both know that at that price, he won't be cutting grass next year. I don't care who you are, you can't do it.

    Never put the competition down. I would simply say, "Well Mr. or Mrs. customer, sometimes you pay for what you get. My work speaks for itself, that is why, from year to year we retain 95% of our customers and the other 5% many times comes back to us before the end of the year. You see, I don't think my business is simply to cut your grass, my job is to do my best to make your lawn the best looking one on your street. Why don't I come by tomorrow (or your next opening) and we can get started." Then it is time to zip your mouth and wait for them to speak. The first one to speak loses. Good luck to you. It is a very rewarding business.
  4. topsites

    topsites LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 21,653

    Get his number, and every single time you get someone that is hardly willing to pay half YOUR price, refer them to him.

    Works great... Whenever this happens, I always think: I'll send every ONE of them cheap customers over to the cheap Lco.

    It amuses me greatly and I only have to send one or two low-pay customers their way until my inner peace is restored.
  5. firefightergw

    firefightergw LawnSite Gold Member
    from Texas
    Messages: 3,340

    Well, after rereading your original post, I can see that my reply really didn't have anything to do with what you were asking. Sorry :laugh: Not much you can do until a customer hits you with it....AND THEN you can use what I said.:laugh: :laugh:
  6. boxsky

    boxsky LawnSite Member
    Messages: 178

    Actually a customer didn't tell me his price. i was checking the competition in the area and on the same lawn most were 35 to 40 and this guy comes in at 23.
    I own another company (catering) and I get people saying so and so will do the job for x and I have no problem telling them to go with them if price is the deciding factor. There is a lot more then price when doing a job. But it's amazing that someone would come in that low doing lawns. His price wouldn't be worth using my equipment

Share This Page