newer toro 30 inch turfmaster?

Daniel Camarena

LawnSite Member
Ive heard bad reviews of these machines. Has toro made them better or are they still problematic? I need something bigger than a 21 but smaller than a 36.
Thanks

JLSLLC

LawnSite Fanatic
Search on here, recent thread going on about them. Lots of info

Valk

LawnSite Platinum Member
Will these things pull themselves up a hill yet?

Caledwen

LawnSite Senior Member
I recently bought the Exmark version. So far I like it a lot. I can't comment on how it does on hills as my area is flatter than flat. But it's upped my efficiency quite a bit.

OP
D

Daniel Camarena

LawnSite Member
You got the commercial version? I was looking into that as well. I work in austin, super small gates make it impossible to fit anything bigger than a 30. Maybe a 36 but i cant justify the expense for anything bigger at this time

sjessen

LawnSite Fanatic
You got the commercial version? I was looking into that as well. I work in austin, super small gates make it impossible to fit anything bigger than a 30. Maybe a 36 but i cant justify the expense for anything bigger at this time
The Toro 30" HDX has an upgraded transmission plus a larger Kohler engine. Costs a bit more but reportedly they have solved the trans issue.

Pretty sure they have been improved overall. Not reading nearly as many complaints about reliability as when they first came out.

Caledwen

LawnSite Senior Member
Sure did. It took me a long time to make the leap though. I'm in TX as well so my yards are the same as you where everyone has a small gate. I was trying to make my 21" work, but I was just killing myself. I have one yard that early in the year would take about an hour to do with the 21. Now i'm down to about a half hour start to finish. I'm not saying it's smooth sailing all the time. Like any mower you can make it bog down and stall if you push hard enough. I have come to liking side discharge with it, seems to do pretty good in thicker grass that way.

rippinryno

LawnSite Gold Member
Search on here, recent thread going on about them. Lots of info
that was regarding the timemaster.

a 36 may or may not be small enough to get into all your gates. The price point on a used 36 or heck even a new belt drive, is not that much more than a turfmaster.

The Toro 30" HDX has an upgraded transmission plus a larger Kohler engine. Costs a bit more but reportedly they have solved the trans issue.

Pretty sure they have been improved overall. Not reading nearly as many complaints about reliability as when they first came out.
The hdx or turfmaster is double the price of the timemaster, so it's a big leap.

I personally don't feel that either of them are that much better or worse than the other, and would never be able to justify the extra 1000 for the supposed "commercial version". By the time you run your timemaster 100 hours, put new upgrade spindles on it, you're pretty much in the same boat.

People get real picky abuot the transmissions on the timemasters, but you can literally replace them in less than 1 hour and they're 100 bucks. I figure if you do that once a season it's going to take 10 years to justify the purchase of the "commercial" turfmaster.