Newish

OP
tandotech

tandotech

LawnSite Member
Hey man, I really like your set up. Where did you get that carrier for your truck? I assume it goes in the hitch? What’s the brand? And how wide is it? Can you get your 36” mower on it? I also run battery powered trimmers/blowers, started as backups to my stihl gas equipment but I pretty quickly made the backups my mains. Just so much easier, which brand do you use?
The carrier is from northern tool.
I use Ryobi 40 volt wit 6 ah batteries for now. At some point I will upgrade to greenworks commercial 82 volt.

Hurryupelectric

LawnSite Silver Member
Just wanted to re-introduce myself.
Back in 2012 I reached out to this forum before I started my first lawn and shrub treatment company in FL. I got some great advice. This is a great resource.
7 years later I sold that business. Very blessed.
It went as smooth as those transactions could go.
1 year after my contract was up and got my final check my wife and I moved to SC.
I decided that I didn't want the responsibility of my own employees and company again so I decided to just work for a large chain pest control/termite company. Totally different field for me coming from a turf, shrub, and tree background. It was a good experience, but I was just not happy.
I swear once you are your own boss you are spoiled. I think it was the ability to just make my own schedule, no one to answer to but my customers, and corporate b.s. that drove me back solo.

So I decided to start my own pest company in SC February 2020. Great timing right?

It actually was. My pest, mosquito, and lawn fert,aerate, and weeds services took off.

It was great. Until my neighbors landscaper quit.Ipicked her up and I wrapped her in a full landscape and pest package. Mowing, pest, mosquito, lawn. It's about 7k of fescue. Not a big lot. $299 a month. 2 services a month.
I just fell in love with lawn care again.
So I started selling only that package.
It's only me so I have to be careful how much I take but I can kinda do everything landscape wise including irrigation, drainage. Also a lot with home maintenance pressure cleaning, minor repairs.

So now I've directed my business to only taking new customers who do full package care. I try to do only 1/2 acre ish properties. We live in a time where you can set you own price for quality work.

I am amazed at where this industry has brought me in my life and the opportunity it has given me.

One thing is that I know we will always have work in this industry. Remember how blessed you are, where you come from, and hopefully we can pass on this trade to another generation that will do even better than us.

Also, I will update my profile soon but I'm running:
2013 ram 2500
With 2 , 75 gallon tanks, 6gpm 12v pump
Makita mosquito blower
(4) 4 gallon flow zone back pack sprayers
24 volt walk behind spreader with / 9 gallon removable tank

36" ferris stand
32 ferris fw15
21" Honda commercial
All 40 volt battery trimmers/blowers
Howdy! What area of SC? I’m operating in West Ashley/Charleston doing mostly lawn maintenance and some light tree work, small to medium landscaping and simpler hardscapes. I’m about 1-1/2 years in but the forum has me feeling like I’m a few years in.

Hurryupelectric

LawnSite Silver Member
Just noticed your sw15/fw15, I just bought one, you might be interested to know that I bought it specifically for heavy rain. In my specific area the ground can get pretty soft at times and the fw15/sw15 has kept me on schedule with my accounts. I run all Ryobi 40v stuff, I like it and realize it’s homeowner grade but it’s holding up to heavy duty and is priced as disposable.

OP
tandotech

tandotech

LawnSite Member
Just noticed your sw15/fw15, I just bought one, you might be interested to know that I bought it specifically for heavy rain. In my specific area the ground can get pretty soft at times and the fw15/sw15 has kept me on schedule with my accounts. I run all Ryobi 40v stuff, I like it and realize it’s homeowner grade but it’s holding up to heavy duty and is priced as disposable.
It is a great little mower. Yeah the Ryobi stuff is decent. I get the 6ah batteries on Amazon for pretty cheap. Also electric motor cleaner, dilectric grease, and dilectric spray go a long way in protecting batteries and tools

OP
tandotech

tandotech

LawnSite Member
Howdy! What area of SC? I’m operating in West Ashley/Charleston doing mostly lawn maintenance and some light tree work, small to medium landscaping and simpler hardscapes. I’m about 1-1/2 years in but the forum has me feeling like I’m a few years in.
I'm in the foothills area near Clemson. This is a great site for resources, just search first before asking. Even be if it's to get some knowledge before asking a question.

Top Forums