• Online Events For Landscapers!
    With GIE+EXPO cancelled, virtual education and product launches are filling up the fall. Check out dates for Caterpillar, Exmark, NALP, and more. Click here to learn more.

NEXT LEVEL

Toroguy

LawnSite Bronze Member
If we were paid for responses, would my previous response merit a payment? Their would have to be a criteria to eliminate &quot;yes&quot; or &quot;no&quot; type responses for $.<p>What about inaccurate infomation? <p>It would be easier to share information if payment was recieved. This site and information gathered puts me ahead of the competition. Do I want to inform the competition that Eric@Elm showed me the light on how to stripe? Or when the neighbors all comment and want the same thing done to their lawns-I know they call me. You dont want to cheapen the currency by making it to available.<p>Educating all on the pricing would be beneficial, but a daunting task.<p>I will continue to share...just not about the technology I acquired at Roswell:)

OP
H

HOMER

LawnSite Gold Member
Well at least I got ya'll thinking! The insurance thing is a great idea, I also saw a post by a green industry finance group on here, what about 1000, 2000, 3000, potential customers! Good financing good get that company well on its way too, the trickle down effect.<p>I think if you wanted to be a bona-fide member you should have to pay a monthly fee, not to look on here but to actually partake of the benefits associated with being a paid member. If Chuck continues to recieve good press from the &quot;GREEN&quot; magazines it will only take a while for more members to come on board.<p>I asked a fellow full timer today to helpp me mow the 10 acre Church we have, I said if he helped I would give him 1/2 the money.......he is struggling, you wanna know why? Because he has not been educated enough to know that you need year round accounts, they live from cut to cut, and he ain't gettin to cut much! I wound up giving him the whole amount today because he continued to help me do another Church and my largest school. I needed his help to stay on track with my accounts, he needed me to feed his family, it felt pretty good to finally be able to helpp someone. He does good work and his wife is his helper so I am going to refer him to some of the people that call me, I wised up and will only accept irrigated accounts now, it's taken me a while to understand everything too, I didn't have Lawn Site back in '96. <p>If you get an opportunity to help someone do it and you will gain a friend, not a competitor, someone that will help you when your in a jam insted of pull your accounts away from you. I recieved a $40.00 gift certificate in the mail yesterday for a steak house in my area, it came from someone I've never met in person, just over the internet, I must have helped him somehow, someway for him to do this for me. I appreciated the gift because it is a GREAT place to eat. If these things can happen on a small scale think of the connections that could be made on a larger scale, coast to coast.<p>More ramblin'<p>Homer

Nilsson Associates

LawnSite Member
Few years back I did an article that appeared in Landscaper Publications, (New York regional trade mag) on this very subject. Article was based on .. &quot;collective power&quot; and what could be done with it, for green guys and gals. Large companies already have power because they are big. Small companies have very little power because they don't ban together, try to remain totally independent in many ways. Independent is okay ... but it doesn't win wars. <p>Here are a few excerpts from the article ..<br>1. Credit Union formation to lower interest costs and also serve as an investment vehicle.<p>2. Group vacation discounts (even cruises at real big discounts)<p>3. Group advertising coop by region<p>4. Purchasing alliances to lower your costs on almost everything you buy to run your business.<p>5. Capital formation to allow more rapid growth by &quot;buying out the competition&quot;.<p>6. Creation of mergers.<p>7. Fomation of the &quot;master mind group&quot;.<p>8. Group insurance.<p>9. Investment opps, plus time share, real estate, vacation resorts.<p>10. Group purchases in bulk, and (negotiated buying).<p>All this sounds pretty good. Problem? Cooperation and the lack thereof. Big companies on Wall Street got that way because capital was pooled to make the expansion of America possible. <p>Another doable idea I thought was good was to have widespread consolidation of small lawn care companies to form a very large company ... maybe even the biggest in the USA. Remaining independent (like a franchise) but coming together to have advantages in markets. Problem? Cooperation.<p>This is a subject that has always interested me. Don't even think about doing it without group investing in all the systems that need to be in place to make it happen. Time, money, management, execution.<p>And the question for tonite is ... why is it that you (pay) to (enter) a trade show where the object is to sell you things displayed at that show? Shouldn't entry be free?<p>I like the widespread consolidation idea the best. Operators still run their &quot;own show&quot; but enjoy advantages in a franchise &quot;like&quot; atmosphere. How? Pooling of resources (money) just like on Wall Street.<p>But the biggest problem I'm trying to solve right now is raising money for Chuck's vacation cruise. If you haven't made a pledge, please do so at the Chuck Going on A Cruise? post.<p>Phil Nilsson<p><p><p><font size="1">Edited by: Nilsson Associates

curlawngreen

Banned
Very good question.But then again we get to watch TV for &quot;FREE&quot; dont we?If we dont go to a baseball game we have not paid some idiot 4 million dollers per year to play first base have we? But what THEY have that WE dont is COOPERATION, we dont seem to represent the costs of taking care of the clients investment very well. I had a guy ask me to cut his yard because the other guy only cut the tops off. The guy did not like that, I told him that I would cut to the recommended height and that was that, he didnt like my answer.It looked like the other LCO was doing a good job.Would you take his work and cut lower or go by the current guidelines of lawn main.?

OP
H

HOMER

LawnSite Gold Member
If you watched the game on T.V. then you did help support the 4 million dollar a year player. People watch, networks sell ads.<p>Cut the grass per customer specifications, it belongs to him and if his spec's damage it he has to pay to have it repaired!<p>Homer

Charles

Moderator, Friend, Angel
Phil, what would be a way to get this forum on sound financial footing? I mean after the vacation promotion. One section of lawnsite would be free(this section) and the other section would be pay. One would offer a group insurance link by a reputable nationwide insurance company. And a link to a group investment company. And seminar on lawn, pesticide, snowplowing etc. Group discounts on almost everything. More members seem to be the key. We need more members though, 1000 is really not much because only a small % of them is going to participate. You need about 10000 members to get 1000 to participate. Its hard to get year around contracts in my drought prone region Homer so I too am unemployeed at this point. No rain in site. I am looking for ways to make money and save money. A group insurance company would be a big draw and a good sponsor

Nilsson Associates

LawnSite Member
Hi Charles,<br>First thought is continue to keep the site running. ... It's a tough call on the one hand it takes money to run a site, and on the other most forums are free. Problem with internet sites is funding them with advertising or sponsors to pay the bills and of course make them a worthwhile thing for a site owner to get involved with. So you add up the costs of running a site (all user fees) add up all time spent by owners, administrators and divide those total hours each month into remaining revenue after cost ... if any. That tells you what you made for each hour spent. If the answer comes back, a minimum wage pay rate per hour, then I guess you could go broke if you keep doing that.<p>That's the problem for many web sites, each day we hear of more of them who quit and go off line because the income to run them just isn't there. So I guess if a site is to continue to run, eventually it has to make ends meet, otherwise a site owner would either run out of money or lose interest. If the site owner is a Bill Gates, then that's okay I guess.<p>I can't speak for site owner Chuck Keough, and it's not my place to do that. Most site owners will want to turn a profit eventually and that's no sin. Everybody has to pay bills, you can't fault anybody for wanting to earn a living which we all know isn't easy.<p>I think your question comes down to money. With money ... the main resource is in place that could fund any project or goal that an individual or group of people might want to pursue. All the things mentioned so far are possible to do. Question is who has the time to do them, without sacrificing current avenues of making a paycheck? <p>Group stuff like arranging group insurance, negotiating cooperative purchasing, getting involved with any activity in order to &quot;nail down&quot; something of value for the group .. needs to be funded by membership or sponsors so that management or people are put in place to work on the goals. Then there's the question of organization ... profit or non-profit? It's quite involved, and difficult to accomplish when cooperation is needed. <p>The possibilities are mind boggling ... It's like saying .. well I myself can't afford a condo in Barbados, but 10 people can so ten people put up 10% each ... take 2 weeks each a vacation ... with the other weeks available to rent out. Stuff like that. The possibilities are endless, but it's takes a real &quot;organized effort&quot; and focus to do those kinds of things. <p>Again, I don't know Chuck personally, and it's really none of my business what he has in mind for the site. He is site owner, and has started a good thing which continues to grow. I hope it turns out to be something worth the work he has put into it. <p>Phil Nilsson<p>P.S. for any of the ideas above to work ... need 3 things<br>1. A faultless plan<br>2. Money to work the plan<br>3. Professional approach <br><p><font size="1">Edited by: Nilsson Associates

thelawnguy

LawnSite Silver Member
Who ever said the forum wasnt on &quot;sound financial footing&quot;? Nobody here, save the administrator and higher powers, knows what the real scoop is. Maybe the expenses here are necessary for whatever personal agendas might be going on. I dont know, you dont know, Phil doesnt know.<p>Quite frankly, I am beginning to see the Chuck vacation fundraising turning into Phils roundtable dream, turning Lawnsite into a pay site. Maybe my guess is wrong, but today the wind is blowing from the west and Im starting to smell something rotten coming from Hart Street.<p>Chuck will get his cruise, but its gonna cost this forums' members a lot more than $3.50 mark my words.<p>Bill<p>PS If you want group insurance, group purchasing, join your local Farm Bureau most states around $50/year. TLG<br><p><font size="1">Edited by: thelawnguy

Administrator

Administrator
Bill,<p>Your looking to far into this and you are being pessimistic. I am not going to charge anyone for anything except for a service that lawnsite.com might offer and that will not be a manditory service. <p>LawnSite.com has a lot of possibilities and I am working on projects from my own capital. If my capital runs out I might look for capital from outside sources but im trying to save my pennies and spend them well.<p>I guess well just all have to see.<p><p><br>&lt;font size=&quot;1&quot;&gt;Edited by: administrator<br><p><font size="1">Edited by: administrator

Nilsson Associates

LawnSite Member
Like I said before, we're about to find out the support that forum people are willing to offer. Some months ago when a paid forum was mentioned, many said they would leave if they had to pay. I have no interest in owning a forum ... because it's too high maintenance. Look at how many times admin has to intervene with posting, it's time consuming. I use forums for marketing my stuff. <p>We're asking the folks who come here to invest $3.50 cents into A PERSON , A PERSON, A PERSON, A PERSON, CHUCK IS A PERSON, CHUCK IS A PERSON, not a forum, yet who many get it? think it's some kind of stunt. Who would even care if it were (which it isn't) for $3.50? Small time pocket change and look at the trouble we're having raising even that. Do you think folks would support a paid forum? I don't think so. <p>There are hundreds if not thousands of forums out there. I hope I'm not wasting my time posting to this one lately ... to try to raise a vacation trip for Chuck. At this rate, it's going to take month, after month.<p>Phil Nilsson<p>P.S. I'm asking you to send Chuck who is A PERSON on vacation. I edited back to make sure everybody understands ... it's a person, not a thing. Thank you.<br><p><font size="1">Edited by: Nilsson Associates