• Online Events For Landscapers!
    With GIE+EXPO cancelled, virtual education and product launches are filling up the fall. Check out dates for Caterpillar, Exmark, NALP, and more. Click here to learn more.

NEXT LEVEL

curlawngreen

Banned
Riddle me this, riddle me that,why dont you just say what the &lt;b&gt;edited&lt;/b&gt; is on your mind?<p>&lt;b&gt;If you use language like that again you will not post on this forum. This is a public forum and is seen by public eyes.. children do not need to see that type of language.&lt;b&gt;<p><font size="1">Edited by: administrator

Guido

LawnSite Silver Member
Ok, I'm bringing this post back from the dead, but not to rile up comments about Chucks Cruise or Phil's agenda or Turfquip.com being cheap, etc. The reason I'm doing this is because Homer started a great post and one of the very few I've seen in the past couple of weeks that could really help the memebers here. I haven't been replying much lately because all I see is the same questions over and over: How much do I charge?, Which is better MTD or Toro? You get the point. I understand theres guys trying to get into the business, and I don't discourage you from asking questions at all, but look through the old posts first and narrow it down a little bit. And one other thing I, and a few others I've chatted with, have seen is a bunch of &quot;kids&quot; not even old enough to drive yet asking about $10K-$40K pieces of equipment. LEARN, again, I'm not out to discourage anyone but you don't have to act like a Big Shot around here, you'll probobly get less help that way. I rather help out a kid pushing a 22&quot; craftsman around his neighborhood then somebody that has &quot;crews&quot; as they say it. If you have more than one truck/trailer and you have &quot;people&quot; working for you and your asking questions like How much do I charge? How do I stripe a lawn? What do I do with a bent blade? (I liked that one the most!)then you have a problem that I can't help you with!! Anyway....the morale of the story:<p>Something that can help us all like Homer, Phil and some of the other guys said is ORGANIZATION!!!! I wish I knew how to make that big bad and bold but I'm not that good with computers! Thats going to be the key to the future for us. Heres an example, I know where all spread very far around the US (and I think me and Karl are the only ones in the overseas division of Lawnsite!!) it would be hard to have any kind of monthly meeting or anything, but check it out. Say you split up into 3 or 4 regions accross the states. Meet once a quarter, talk about pricing standards, new equipment, changes in the area, legal and financial issues, etc, maybe have a little seminar, etc. Now I know what your saying.....&quot;I know everything, why do I need to go listen to a bunch of SCRUBS talk about cuttin grass, etc?&quot; Heres a good reason: If we held back our large $ purchases until these get togethers and then found a distributer, weather it be bulk materials, fertilizer, or power equipment, trailers, even trucks, that would sell at a bulk rate discount. Imagine the money we could save?? <p>Another good point, like Homer said, was edumakating some of the younger, newer guys. Would it kill you to spend a day with someone trying to get into the business and let them try out some equipment, let them ask some questions?? I don't know.....it would take a lot of organizing to pull this off, but I think it can happen. I know Phil Nillson and Bill Phagan, and a couple of others around here have some connections with the trade mags, and we're going to start seeing lawnsite pop up in ther evry so often. I bet we got over 30 new members here since that one article, imagine if we all pitched in and put a small ad in one of the mags?? This place could be hoppin!!<p>Heres another advantage, some guys here complaining about too much work and some complaining about not enough. How bout it, If we worked together as an ORGANIZATION of members that we are, If I had a job I couldn't take on, instead of turning it down so it can be picked up by one of the huge contractors out there, I could call up so and so from the forum who's in my area and give it to him ( or her ) Its a way to keep the &quot;scrubs&quot; out of our field. I know I sound kind of negative sometimes about new guys, but I hope you understand. I don't mind someone trying to start up a business, but the ones who don't like doing it, don't put any PRIDE into it, lowball the rest of our estimates, and are just there to make a quick buck and run PISS ME OFF! They are the people that ruin our image, and because of people like them, we can't get paid the dollars we deserve!! Well I hope I got all of you thinking about this. Once chuck gets up that system by zipcode, you'll be able to call up somebody from your area and get together. This idea will work....mark my words!<p>&quot; ASK NOT WHAT THIS FORUM CAN DO FOR YOU, ASK WHAT YOU CAN DO TO BUILD THIS INTO A GREEN INDUSTRY EMPIRE&quot;<p><p>----------<br>&quot;guido&quot;<br>David M. Famiglietti

bdemir

LawnSite Senior Member
Guido,<p>I have more than 3 trucks cut around 4k of grass a week and run two crews. I am the one who asked if there is a better way to bend a blade back or just toss it. I have a lot of work and i jumped into the business just this year. Ive invested 40k and dont know too much. I have cutt grass and i do a great job but there is a lot i dont know. Mine is a special case. Most people spend 4 years to try to build a route so they can make that but its my first year and i dont need to save on some fertilizer but i go through blades because i cut a lot of grass. Im glad you like my post. I will ask more of those simple quesions because i learn from them. Thanks<p>bdemir

Nilsson Associates

LawnSite Member
It's no riddle ...<br>A harnessed horse pulls the loaded wagon with a destination and purpose. The unharnessed horse bolts around the field accomplishing nothing and going nowhere in particular. That's a fact Jack and go figure .. if I may borrow those two expressions from Grassmasters.<p>Green industry is powerless ..<p>There are over 100,000 green industry firms in the US alone ... yet not one of them save for a few has any power. Like soldiers dazed, wounded, UNORGANIZED on the battlefied no wars are won like this.<p>Phil Nilsson<br><p><font size="1">Edited by: Nilsson Associates

Guido

LawnSite Silver Member
I hoped that we could actually progress with this one, I'll be happy if just one person responds to this with a positive note. As for BDEMIR, You prove my point exactly with your post. Instead of posting a question like that, do your research. If you ran a search for blades, and read the previous posts (probobly 100 of them!) you would have read the importance of balancing the blades. Once you knew the importance of a balanced blade, you (hopefully) could use your head and say, hmmmmmmm a bent blade would probobly be hard to balance, I better just use it as a paper weight. The other thing I don't understand about your post is this : You say you use a lot of money on bent blades. WHY?? HOW MANY TIMES DO YOU (or your crew) HIT THE SAME OBSTACLE IN THE SAME YARDS YOU MOW EVERY CYCLE???? Make a walk around the yard that would take a few minutes instead of costing a blade or two. After a few cuts on a property you (or your crews) should know it well enough or atleast be able to pay attention to whats in front of the mower before you run it over!! I'm not trying to argue with you, nobody here wants to hear it either, so lets not make it out like that. I was just making a point to do the background checks before asking a question like that. You'll still learn!!<br><p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://communities.msn.com/guidosequipmentpics/&quot;&gt;&quot;Guido&quot;&lt;/a&gt;<br>David M. Famiglietti

Guido

LawnSite Silver Member
Phil, Bill, what do you guys think? Somebody has to understand the power we would have if we were organized, plus the money we could save. Share your thoughts guys!!<p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://communities.msn.com/guidosequipmentpics/&quot;&gt;&quot;Guido&quot;&lt;/a&gt;<br>David M. Famiglietti

Guido

LawnSite Silver Member
Hey Homer, I found two of your posts that I'm bringing back up for old time sake!

This one started off great, but veered a little bit off track, but we'll see if we can get back on the original subject.

I'm bringing up these older posts because there are a $hit Load of new guys around here, and I think their added input on these will be great.

Hope you enjoy!