1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

Next size trailer....

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by rmslawns, Dec 1, 2010.

1. rmslawns

rmslawns LawnSite Member

To all: I started with a 5x8 trailer last year which was fine for a 48 walk behind and push mower. I purchased a 54" ZTR this season and will look to buy a bigger trailer after the first of the year. I will have the 48 and 54 next season as well.

What size trailer to those of you who have a 54ztr and 48 wb find is best? I am part time so no plans to have a bigger fleet, but I would sell the 5x8 and look at a 6x12 at least. Thanks to all in advance and best of luck to all of you for a great 2011 season.

2. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

Do you have any plans on installing a bagging system on the ztr or do you already have one on there?

I'd go for a 6x14, I think that should be plenty big for that setup.

3. 944own

944own LawnSite Bronze Member

I upgraded from 5x8 to a 6x12 recently on the smaller trailer I could put my 54ztr and a 21 on the back sideways when I got the bigger trailer I can put the 54ztr on and the 21 straight in and I have also had a whole pallet of mulch on the back behind my 21 so im not sure with you having the 48 but for my setup the 6x12 is plenty. Im sure I could get a 48 walk behind on there behind my ztr if I wanted.

4. Robert Pruitt

Robert Pruitt LawnSite Senior Member

before i got the trailer i now have i was putting a 52in ZTR, 44in w/b and 21in on a 12'.

5. deere4ever

deere4ever LawnSite Member

I bought my jd 925 and a 6.5x12 and was thinking I could load the 925 and sometimes load my dads cub cadet 1018 but bonk both will not fit.. I found that 925 to be kinda long though... I put my 6.5x12 on craigslist the other day for sale to buy a 6.5x14

6. 944own

944own LawnSite Bronze Member

I know what you mean like I said in my post I used to put a 21 sideways behind my Lesco 54ztr on a 5x8 before I got my 6x12 my friend has a new jd925 and has a 5x8 he cant fit anything behind the 925 so yes it is at least longer than my Lesco

7. LibertyFarmLandscaping

LibertyFarmLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NE TX

At least a 77" x 14. Wouldn't hurt to get a 16' just in case you ever need the extra room, the price difference is only a few hundred on a new trailer.

8. rmslawns

rmslawns LawnSite Member

I can relate on seeing how much room the JD 900's take. I was thinking that I could put my 48 wb on sideways on a 6.5x12. Is a 14 ft trailer always going to be a tandem axle? I never imagined a year ago even considering going to a 14 ft trailer a year later. I cannot fit anything behind the 900 on my 5x8 so I would rotate the days I cut with the wb..then other days with the ztr.

9. rmslawns

rmslawns LawnSite Member

Brad..no plans for a bagger. I have mulch kits on both mowers. What size trailer was that you posted on here after you bought it? I think it was yellow.

10. Robert Pruitt

Robert Pruitt LawnSite Senior Member

paid $1690 OTD for my 16ft. three years ago.