Next Truck : Brand New and American

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by LawnCareBowling2019, Jan 10, 2019.

1. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

Toyota Tacoma’s and the sr5s before then are FAMOUS for being high mileage trucks I’ve eeen more than a handful at 700,000 miles and one that was a verifiable 1,000,000 miles.

Brake pads are a wearable item
    Like tires
    They don’t belong to the truck manufacturer
    You don’t have “Toyota” brake pads
    You have whatever cheap pads you bought in the first place combined with probably towing something without trailer brakes and pushing the truck over what it’s capacity to tow/haul is.
    That’s exactly how you go through brake pads in four months.
    That and the diddle britches who put them on could have screwed up a thing or two.

hort101 likes this.
  2. Mark Stark

Mark Stark LawnSite Senior Member

I hear ya man! That's a crummy day however you look at it. The good news is, it's not an expensive fix (especially since it is a maintenance item).

One of the things we've decided to do is to be as proactive as possible. If we know we're going to need something like brake work done "in the near future", we do our best to tackle it during our off season.

Even if we could have gotten a few more months of use, it's not worth the safety + downtime risk to us. The longer Ive owned various businesses, the more the old saying has been cemented in my mind....A penny of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Sounds lame but it's so true! Stuff goes wrong and "Murphy" strikes when we least expect it. Good luck!

DXN1EL and Matthews Lawn Care like this.
  3. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

Ranger and Tacoma are the same class of truck.
    An f150 is going to cost nearly the same price as ranger (which I never understand why) and they get about the same gas mileage (which also I don’t understand why)

Get an f250 for a few thousand more.

If it were me, I’d keep the Tacoma and get a 2010-2012 dual rear wheel f350
    But that’s just me

DXN1EL and hort101 like this.
  4. Matthews Lawn Care

Matthews Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

Not that it’s right or neccessary for anyone to insult your post, you did leave yourself open to such criticism. Again, not saying it’s ok for anyone to insult you but you can use this as a lesson, which is what I would assume most that you consider to have insulted you were probably intending for their comments to teach you, so to say.

For instance, your 32, had been told you need brakes but disregarded it and when the breaks failed, blamed the truck. Guess what? That’s your fault. Guess what else? When you own/operate a business, everything is your fault. So, buckle up, there will be more days like this in the future.

Next, at 32 years of age, having your dad backing you up financially throws up a ton of red flags. While I think it’s great your family can help you, it concerns me that your $ mgt might be a problem, along with your maintenance priorities.

In the end, just use this as an eye opener. These are things you can work on. Making better decisions will only help your success.

Just saying, from your 1st post, I thought you were a teenager.

Anyway, I hope it all works out.

5. Mow-Daddy.com

Mow-Daddy.com LawnSite Fanatic

So did I. I was thinking 17.

6. Mow-Daddy.com

Mow-Daddy.com LawnSite Fanatic

Insulting a post is not a problem.
    Goes with posting online .
    Rclawn has to always do "personal insults" that's why I mentioned his post. He was calling the poster a (real winner). Very condescending and unnecessary.

Matthews Lawn Care likes this.
  7. Michael J. Donovan

Michael J. Donovan Head Moderator, Online Communities Staff Member

ok, let's stick to the topic and refrain from insults and derogatory comments please

thanks

8. ztman

ztman LawnSite Bronze Member

Almost had a 200 average, what happened in the 164 game

rclawn likes this.
  9. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Fanatic

32? By then I was in the position to take care of my parents if need be not still having them cover my normal expenses.

My dad mentioned he wanted an older truck to keep out on the farm. I replaced my work truck with a newer one and sent my old one out to the farm.

As we get older we should be there for our parents since they took care of us as children.

I guess the bowling should have been a sign, don't know many teenage kids bowling.

10. That Guy Gary

That Guy Gary LawnSite Silver Member

In the past 2 years I've had 2 calipers blow up while I was driving a truck, one Ram 2500 and one F350. Both times it was from pure negligence on the part of the employees responsible for them, both times I just happened to need their vehicle for the day during the off season.

Don't Toyota's have more USA made parts than any American brand these days? :laugh:

If you're going to buy a new work truck at least buy a truck that is built for work, 1/4-1/2 ton trucks are really limited in ability and you'll burn through wear items like brake pads much faster hauling a trailer with them.

I wouldn't waste money on new though if you are still working to get established. Aside from random lemons like the Freestyle (A Ford) my dad bought, pretty much any modern vehicle will reach 200k+ miles if taken care of properly. You'd be better off financially buying a decent used truck and just learning how to take care of the darn thing.

Don't ever skimp on brake pads either. Ya don't need the high end ceramics but get quality semi metallics and inspect them regularly. There ain't many things that can ruin your life and take away all you own faster than a brake failure at the wrong moment, especially if it's obvious that maintenance was neglected. Negligence will open the door for someone to go after you and all you own personally.

hort101 and Mark Oomkes like this.