• Thankful For Your Family…. Business?
    Landscaping businesses are often family endeavors. While this can combine the best of both worlds (personal and professional), it isn’t always smooth sailing. Click here to read more.

Niagara Falls Plans

Hi all. I am a retiree and I've been talking about building a replica of Niagara Falls in my yard. And now I'm getting it rolling. I have a relative who is a stone mason coming over from Scotland to do the stone work for me.
I just need to have it ready for him to go at it, and since I've never done anything of this nature before, I will probably be posting many questions, so please bare with me as I learn.
I have surfed all over the net and am really ignorant of many of the terms used, such as spillway or drip edge. If there is somewhere to find a glossary, let me know.

Thanks

DA Quality Lawn & YS

LawnSite Fanatic
Sounds adventurous!
Are you going to re-route a river to get adequate flow over your falls so you mimic Niagara?:)

dbear

LawnSite Senior Member
Pictures, must post many pictures of your project....pretty please?:)

Seriously, having visited the Falls many times, it sounds like a cool project, and at least one pic of the final outcome would be great.

capelawncare.com

LawnSite Fanatic

nobagger

LawnSite Gold Member
Can I go for a ride in a barrel?

Marcos

LawnSite Gold Member
Can I go for a ride in a barrel?
That was my exact 1st thought! :laugh: :waving:
When this downsized model is complete what final test would be better than to place the family's pet hamster in a miniature barrel & send it over!?

Hmmm....which side to do it on, though? :confused:
The American falls or the Horseshoe falls?

DA Quality Lawn & YS

LawnSite Fanatic
Well, the real Falls are somewhere in the neighborhood of 150,000 gps, yes that's gallons per second. Any idea what scale your falls will be in comparison?
Niagara Falls Flowrate
Couple garden hoses ought to deliver what he needs:clapping:

dacoach

LawnSite Member
We did one that had a big pump at the bottom and 4 inch pipe that ran to the top. He wanted water flow like the colorado river. 8 feet wide, 4 seperate pools and 230 feet long with 30 feet of drop. Water sure was going fast. It was hard to stand in it. You have to have the exact dimensions and how deep the sides are going to be and how fast you want the water to go. The professionals that sells these pumps will get you what you want. Best thing we ever did is in a spot that is calm at the bottom, put a float that could automatically fill the river. Evaporation took alot of water out.