NJ- Commercial plates needed?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by mkwl, Jun 25, 2008.

  1. marie1260

    marie1260 LawnSite Member
    Messages: 1

    Any soul proprietors having difficulty getting the corp code from nj motor vehicles which is needed before they will allow you to get commercial plates?

    We're scheduled to get the lettering but I am told we can be fined for having lettering without the plates
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2010
  2. TPS

    TPS LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ
    Messages: 363

    I cant get commercial plates because my truck was financed in my name. My bank will not refi in the business name because I am only in my second year. Therefore I can NOT get commercial tags on my truck. Hoping I don't have any trouble this year with that. I do however have commercial insurance.
  3. scaglawnsnj

    scaglawnsnj LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj
    Messages: 435

    In NJ a lawn contractor must hold a commercial insurance policy.
    I believe its a 1mil general liability policy. On a second thought, would you want to hurt somebody walking. Like take out there eye by flung debris. And then they will sue you for every little penny you have and maybe your house.
    If you take a risk with out this. well, you may be fine or you may get fu**ed.
    I don't think you can even dump at the compost yard with out commercial policy. When I filed out the paper work, they have a section for your commercial policy and number. Good luck with lawn business. Take my advice Get what you need, then get out asap. your call
  4. scaglawnsnj

    scaglawnsnj LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj
    Messages: 435

    My truck has a commercial reg and insurance. the dealer sent me regular plates. My truck is lettered out he balls and never had a problem. Then again is the plate is ran it comes up commercial. Dont worry about plates, worry about insurance. Commercial insurance.
  5. Mack77

    Mack77 LawnSite Member
    from NJ
    Messages: 212

    I have commercial insurance, tow a trailer and have plans to have an employee drive the truck. I don't want to put letters on my truck, can I stick with a "personal" non-commercial plate?
  6. mdlwn1

    mdlwn1 LawnSite Silver Member
    Messages: 2,443

    Only if the driver tells a cop that he is merely transporting equipment.....not operating a business.
  7. shovelracer

    shovelracer LawnSite Silver Member
    Messages: 2,008

    This is bull, you do not need a corp code to get "X" plates, but you do need one to register in the company name. You do not need to register in the company name to get "X" plates. If your vehicle has "X" plates it must be lettered and have a commercial policy. If your commercial policy is in the company name you need to have the vehicles registered owner attached to it.

    If you use your vehicle for commercial purposes it must have "X" plates, be lettered, and have a commercial policy. Yes mowing lawns is a commercial operation. In addition if you have an "X" vehicle you will need additional permits/licenses to haul debris, carry pesticides, offer any other service than cutting, have an amber light, and cross state lines. Why do you guys think we get upset when Jonny Just Cuts pulls up in his passenger S-10 to cut a lawn and apply some weed n feed and spread some bagged mulch.
  8. SimonCX

    SimonCX LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 731

    Yup shovelracer is right, trucks used for business not lettered and no commerical plates is a automatic ticket just go ask any cop.
  9. mkwl

    mkwl LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,700

    What kind of rates are you guys paying for comm vehicle insurance with a $1,000 deductable for 1 vehicle and $500,000 liability?
  10. shovelracer

    shovelracer LawnSite Silver Member
    Messages: 2,008

    Our deductible is 500, but we pay about 1000 per truck with full coverage, however this seems to be the lowest my carrier will go because it does not get any lower for older vehicles. For those that are not aware we are talking about vehicle insurance not business liability. You need both and they are different.

Share This Page