1. Ask the Expert: Fertilization Strategies for Success: Dec. 12, 2017
    Learn how to do more with less when it comes to your fertilization services. Join the live Ask the Expert event hosted by Koch Turf & Ornamental: Dec. 12, 12-2 p.m. ET in the Fertilizer Application forum .

NJ Landscaping business requirements

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Str8Liner, Sep 11, 2010.

  1. Str8Liner

    Str8Liner LawnSite Member
    Messages: 17

    I've been in this industry for 10yrs and Im now definitely at the point of starting my own co. I know how to operate the business being that Ive been a Forman, haha in most cases a friggin second owner in a couple different companies (I've moved a few times). I know a lot about planting, pruning, trimming and lawn cutting. My only question is what do I reeeallly need to be a ligit
    company in NJ? The work, equipment and experience I have covered but it's the liscences, insurances, and that type of stuff that I'm not too clear on. I don't get lots of straight answers from people Ive spoken with in the area. I don't spray chemicals and I don't do permanent landscape construction. For now I'm focusing on what I've mastered... Cleanup,mulch,cut,plant,trim,cut,plant,trim,cut,cleanup,cleanup. Haha good breakdown of a basic lawn contract. So what do I absolutely need? Do I need to be certified? How do get all set up to pay taxes?I know I need insurance, what kind? Is there a required liscence in NJ? The small guys Ive worked for only had insurance and truck tags for the towns they worked in. And the big guys I've worked for don't like to talk shop too much. I'm tired of doing work I don't agree with and I'm tired of seeing work being done by the "scum" as you call them here. Basically I want to have my mind focused on work and building business, not on getting in trouble for a lack of credentials I didn't even know about. So help another mown brotha out!
    Posted via Mobile Device
  2. DJJS

    DJJS LawnSite Member
    Messages: 249

    You'll need liability insurance (which in some cases wont cover snow removal/plowing, that's seperate), a business license, if you do ANYTHING besides mowing & trimming you need a contractors lic even if you're only planting some flowers. Any fert/chemicals applicators lic which isn't very easy in the great state of Jersey :rolleyes: As far as paying taxes, collecting sales tax etc thats what accounts are for, talk to a good one and you won't have to worry. A lawyer will help you get registered with the state, you'll also need (at least in most places) a town permit to service any properties in that municipality. Waste hauler permits, commercial tags, the list goes on and on. New Jersey's one of the the most "strict" states in the country, and when I say strict I mean money hungry.

Share This Page