No Clue How To Bill This (8 hr Travel?!)

Discussion in 'Bidding, Estimating and Pricing' started by greennola, Jan 28, 2019.

1. greennola

greennola LawnSite Member

Has anyone else been presented with this scenario?

A client of mine wants some specialty ornamental hybrids. The closest place to get them is 8 hours away and there is no shipping option.

So they want me to pay me to drive there to get them and haul them back... :confused:

It isn't a matter of the price possibly being too high, I just don't know how high to make it. It's overnight, for sure. It isn't about free time, she already has me for 2 days a week.

I definitely think it should be more than my usual two day rate.. or that plus hotel and food money? Or just include that in the rate and make it a little higher?

2. Mow-Daddy.com

Mow-Daddy.com LawnSite Fanatic

16 hrs drive, multiple times $60 per hr plus motel. Plus plants and markup.

zlandman and greennola like this.
  3. greennola

Eh... I don't know if I want to live with that. Thanks. I just didn't know if there was some strange industry standard to this. I assume I would also charge for any other incidentals such as renting the box truck/fuel to lug these monsters back? They are large shrubs, 8'+...

Under 1,000 base to have someone watch my kids/dog seems rough.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2019
  4. Mow-Daddy.com

Ok ?

Stop with the games.
    Your post said nothing about renting a box truck and hauling 8' beasts.
    Yes charge for every expense.
    Plus your $ per hr rate, plus material,
    Plus fuel, plus motel, plus markup.

zlandman likes this.
  5. Mac-s Lawn & Snow

Mac-s Lawn & Snow LawnSite Member

If you are not going to charge them a thousand dollars plus to do this then don't take the job. What are you going to do one of these things dies?

6. greennola

Jeez you're hostile.

Stop with the games? Really? I've been here for nearly 4 years. If I was seeking to troll people I think my gig would have been noticed by now.

For what it is worth, I was looking for advice for landscapers and perhaps that is where it went wrong in my initial post. I should have asked for landscaper's opinions. :nono:

Thanks for all of your help.

7. Mow-Daddy.com

Why is shipping not an option?
    You can hire anyone with a boxtruck
    To deliver them for you.
    Unless it's not a legal plant in your state wink wink ;)

8. Mow-Daddy.com

Not being hostile.
    But you asked a question about how much or how to charge for speciality plants to go pick up.
    Then your next post, after my response fills in a whole lot of missing info.
    Box truck rental, daycare fee, dog kennel, and 8' beast of plants.
    Kinda the whole story was missing on first post.

9. greennola

Forget it, dude.

Because yeah, I'm wink winking my way across a public forum asking how much to charge to transport illegal plants across the bible belt. :rolleyes:

Camellias. You're not going to freight expensive, specialty hybrids that have been container grown to 8'+ without having an objective human on the ground to select the form and vigor of the plant.

I'll message you before I ask a question again to ensure that the initial information is adequate to your posting guidelines.

10. Mow-Daddy.com

Ok,
    You are 100% correct .
    Your initial post described it perfectly.
    I guess we should have just presumed , dog boarding, daycare, etc. Are part of a delivery charge.

UpNorthMowing and zlandman like this.