1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

No clue? What would you do?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MattW, Apr 28, 2003.

1. MattW

MattW LawnSite Member
    from NH

OK I got a chance to put a bid in on a big job... Runs a full calendar year ( but we got an off season for snow like from mid nov....thru mid march) the contract would go from june 1st 2003 to july 2004.

I know what it would take man hours but I don't know what to bill it out for. I know everything tht I try for is right around the $60 an hr mark ....but on a big yearly contract what/ how would you price it?

This is what it would take for man hours.....

5 guys 40hrs a week...and I am figureing on 40 weeks for the season....

I know I have read allot of posts...I am aware of the varables...Just need a basic Idea..

Thanks in advance!

2. fblandscape

fblandscape Banned

Are you talking about 5 guys each spending 5 days a week there, 8 hrs a day? Or 5 guys spending 1 8 hour day there each week? There is a HUGE difference. If it's 5 guys for 40 hrs a week each... I would hope you have a LOT of money in your savings account. That's all I have to say on that issue.

3. MattW

MattW LawnSite Member
    from NH

5 Guys 5 days a week.....

4. fblandscape

fblandscape Banned

All I can tell you is, how is your savings account looking? Can you afford to put 5 guys out there 5 days a week and give them their paychecks at the end of that week? That is a LOT of money to tie up each and every month. How many guys do you have working for you overall?

5. MattW

MattW LawnSite Member
    from NH

I got 2 full timers and 1 part timer...

6. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

If you currently do not even have the men to put on the property I don't think it's wise for you to even bid it.

One small mistake in your estimating can literally cost you thousands on dollars over the course of the contract.

I would not even consider this if I were you.