• Landscape Lighting Design: Bright Ideas
    With outdoor spaces more popular than ever, lighting these landscapes may be your next opportunity. Click here to learn more.

No compression on B&S Engine

Monster Mower

LawnSite Member
B&S:
Model---202432
Type----0036e1
Code--040109yd

Problem1: Bent,broken push rods blown gasket
Solution1: Replaced push rods + gasket drained oil filled to proper level

Problem2: Blown gasket again , warped Head
Solution2: Replaced Head + all gaskets push rods were OK

Problem3: No compression + back firing double checked spark plug torque on bolts all checked out OK still no compression any ideals?

OP
M

Monster Mower

LawnSite Member
i didn't check that but one thing i did notice i took the valve cover off and pulled the cord just before the exhaust valve opens it kinda does a half open is this normal note no adjustments were made to the pre-assembled head out of box

laird006

LawnSite Member
i'm not sure but usually to me when the motor is too easy to turn over, its a valve stuck open. if its exhaust you wont really be able to hear a difference, but if its intake you'll hear the air push back through the carb.

FIXDISS

LawnSite Senior Member
You probably need to adjust the valves if you just installed a new head assy.Remove the rocker arm cover or valve cover whichever you prefer to call it .Remove the spark plug.Turn engine slowly by hand to make sure first of all that the valves are moving properly.Turn the flywheel to top dead center of compression stroke.Insert a thin screwdriver into the spark plug hole until it contacts the top of the piston.Then turn the flywheel until the piston moves down 1/4".Both valves should be completely closed at this position and valves can be adjusted if needed.

DT Lawn Care

LawnSite Senior Member
Sounds like your valves, check your clearance and make sure all is in order with them.