"No I dont need it blown out, never turned it on"

Discussion in 'Winterizing' started by grass disaster, Sep 28, 2019.

1. grass disaster

grass disaster LawnSite Gold Member

I'm getting this a lot this year due to all the rain.

I explain that the system should always be charged every year. regardless if its a wet year or not. Explaining that its hard on the valves and solenoids.

Either way, I have yet to convince anyone to still blow out due to water that may have infiltrated the system.

Lost revenue this year, but may reclaim some back when they try turn system on and all the valves are sticking open.

Any advice?

2. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

They could pay a little now or a lot later. Reminds me of the Fram commercials from years ago.

3. Mowing monkey.

Mowing monkey. LawnSite Senior Member

Not your concern if it freezes. If it doesn’t freeze they were right. If it does then you get more money to fix it.

4. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

don’t stress it
    Repairs and trouble shooting is way better revenue
    You’ll just have to wait for it

Cam15 likes this.
  5. magna111

magna111 LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

Unless they have a leaking main shutoff valve, and it was previously winterized properly, I wouldn’t expect any problems by not winterizing if it was NEVER turned on. We get some people who will say “we only used it once so I don’t need to winterize, right?” Yea, right ...

6. rippinryno

rippinryno LawnSite Bronze Member

IF they never used it and the previous shutdown was done correctly, I guess I do not see a reason to need to winterize an already winterized sprinkler system.

Due to budget, my office does not always run our sprinklers. We have gone years without it being turned on or winterized. So far, not seen any issues from not double winterizing.

7. OP
    OP
    grass disaster

grass disaster LawnSite Gold Member

Ive blown out systems which were never turned on that still had lots of water blown out.
    Expecially in low areas. Water some how gets in the lines.
    I disagree with you.
    For the small cost of blowing out. (I give discounts for systems not turned on) I dont see why anyone would take that risk.

8. magna111

magna111 LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

Sprinklers are basically lawn drains, if there’s a head in a low spot and no check valve water will drain into it. If those heads are on a system, whatever water you’re blowing out today from a system that was never turned on, will be back there after the next good rain.

9. rippinryno

rippinryno LawnSite Bronze Member

then what stops a system from getting water in it after it's blown out and then freezing just like you're saying. Half the time our winters here are rain, or freezing rain witha thawed ground, that then freezes and thaws several times over weeks. If what you say is in fact a problem, the irrigation lines in my area would all be a mess during startup every year. Our ground doesnt' stay frozen, hell sometimes it's 50 in the middle of winter and raining, next day it's 15 and frozen.

You can disagree all day long, I am telling you we've gone a year or 2 on several ocassions without turning it on or winterizing and we've not had an issue.

10. KerbDMK

KerbDMK LawnSite Bronze Member

General science stuff - if an irrigation line is completely full of water and even a portion of the line freezes, it will burst the line because water expands when it freezes and the rest of the water in the line will not compress. That’s how a hydraulic jack works. If the line has air in it, the air will compress and absorb the pressure of the expanding ice. So, if you have a line that is only partially full of water after it has been blown out, it will probably not burst. There may be a limit to how much air pressure the line can hold.